82

Wessam Zoo – 2nd September 2018

ZAEEM'S FACE grew ashen. He clutched his phone and glared at Aryan.

"What did she say?"

"We need to get to the zoo asap. Yasmin's life is in danger and it won't be long before Malika-"

"Let's go."

Zaeem grabbed his arm to halt him. He shook his head.

"Marissa's people are everywhere. They could be keeping an eye on us. Here's what you'll do. You get to the wall by the tower and pretend to do some gardening. I'll cut the power. You climb the wall, jump to the other side, and run through the forest. I'll wait for you in a car by the road."

"How would I know when you've cut the power?" Aryan asked.

Zaeem walked around the table, pulled out a drawer, and took a watch. He synchronized the time and set a timer.

"Fifteen minutes, don't look suspicious."

Aryan gritted his teeth. Fifteen minutes is too much except he has no other choice. Hiding the watch in his pocket due to his small sleeves shirt, he walked out of the study room.

The men pacing the castle watched him. He gulped and hoped his forehead sweats were concealed. He tried not to scurry, grabbed the fallen pruners, and walked toward the tower. He didn't look back at all. Hidden from all prying eyes, he checked the timer.

Four minutes and two seconds

He wore the wristwatch and cut some branches from a perfect round bush.

Come on, Zaeem

His hands shook at the anticipation. He glared at the wall and the tower.

This is how Zaeem first graced his presence in this castle. He came alone and eloped with who would be his first wife. The second time he brought his second wife and disrupted their lives.

On the first beep, Aryan dropped the pruners. He turned it off and ran toward the part of the wall where the tower shadowed it. Taking a deep breath, he began scaling.

Adrenaline coursed unchecked in his veins. His fingers would fit between the crevices while the tip of his shoes begged for more space. Aryan grunted and pushed himself forward. He should have eaten more this morning.

Yesterday's fiasco killed his appetite. Now his rumbling stomach is regretting. Maybe Zaeem would have something in the car. He needed all his strength to save his wife.

Arriving on top of the wall, out of breath already, crisp air ticked his nose. White clouds shielded the little patches of blue.

"Three, two, one"