31

Ankara – 10th November 2015

A FAINT POLICE SIREN wailed in the distance grabbing the duo's attention. It followed by loud honks and cars' tires screeching. By each ticking of the second the warning turned to earsplitting.

"They are coming for us," Malika uttered, clutching the collar of her dress.

"Get in the car."

At the entrance of the hotel, concierge and security guards signaled other people present in the parking lot to stop the white Ferrari from leaving. They rushed outside creating a commotion.

Zaeem slammed the door, started the engine and drove in reverse to prevent head on collision with a determined crowd. Not wasting time, he exited the compound.

With quivering hands, Malika wore her seat belt before she is sent crashing against the dashboard or the window from the sudden rash driving. People informing the police about the car description and number plate raced her pulse in terror. Hopelessness gnawed at her insides, choking the life out of her.

Noticing her troubled face, Zaeem did something unexpected.

He pressed play on the weird looking music system. The Beverly Hills Cop instrumental theme started up. Defeaning to her sensitive eardrums yet it helped Zaeem to maneuver through the streets with much ease like the beat is pumping the speed.

"You got to be kidding me." She laughed in the life and death scenario.

"This is what I always do whenever I feel the need for speed." He winked.

"Cops are behind us and you are playing the most amazing cop music in history. Who are you?"

"Don't you like surprises, Malika? It doesn't have to be serious. We can add romance and comedy to it."

"Is this how you intend to spend the last moments with your wife?"

"This is not the last. We have a long way to go together."

"Irony is winning today."

Malika's eyes danced between the windshield and the side view mirror.

Hands fixed on the steering wheel, Zaeem drove in sync with the blaring track. Clear as a blue sky that he is not breaking the road rules and regulations for the first time. Though beads of sweat appearing on his forehead despite the steady air conditioning inside proved police car chase is a first.

In the broad daylight, without realizing many strangers were caught up in the pursuit. They gave way to the men of law while Zaeem accelerated and sometimes hid between tractor trailer and tank trucks. The highway yawned wide in front with a reasonable traffic. A shudder went down his spine by the very notion of a foot chase if they were stuck in the usual heavy ones.