48

Azar Villa –30th March 2018

AT SIX PAST THIRTY, Myra entered the main building of Zeenat Mahal. The receptionist pointed down the hallway and explained something to a middle aged man in grey tuxedo. Wedding guests in heavy embroidered gowns followed down the path and often stopped by the large window pane, sculptures or expensive canvas on the wall to take pictures.

She wrote the time and signed. Kristen arrived two minutes later and they both bid the receptionist goodbye.

"I'm craving a cold drink."

"You read my mind," Myra approved, ending both of them to chortle.

Kristen drove through the gate and joined the mild rush hour towards a twenty four hours open Starbucks. She put a pen drive in the music system and sang made up lyrics of a popular French song.

"Why are you not singing?"

"Unlike you, I'm not butchering the lyrics."

"I really thought you would have returned as someone more chic, someone into coffee and croissant. You are still the same old Myra."

"You've told me this several times since my return. Why would I change?"

"The air, the vibe, style of living, I don't know, I mean I certainly changed when I moved here from South Africa. You were there for two weeks, maybe if you had stayed longer, something will have change."

"Maybe," Myra replied.

Kristen is being a concerned friend, she can tell.

Myra has changed though. She decided to take Kabir's advice and be happy. It's been more than a month since her arrival in Doha. She strived hard at work every day, focused on her communication skills by accepting phone calls and letting Kristen do the paper work instead. She would talk to the employees and sometimes sit with everyone during lunch time.

It's a small step yet effective. She is smiling more and stressing less.

Every week, she selects a new place and forced her family for dinner out. At first Musa settled on the fact that his daughter has been influenced by the foreign lifestyle. After three weeks, everybody enjoyed it and anticipated for the next dinner out.

Stopping behind a car at the drive thru, Kristen asked, "What will you have?"

"A vanilla sweet cream cold brew"

"Oh-kay"

Kristen moved forward and pulled the window down.

"Hi, welcome to Starbucks, what can I get for you?" A man asked.