12

Wessam Town – 22nd December 2014

TWO CHEVROLET AND ONE HYUNDAI of the same color turned into the parking lot opposite of Grandpa Clint's stable. Malika checked the time on her cheap plastic watch and sighed at the latecomers. It's tea time not lunch.

Every year few days before Christmas, Grandpa Clint invites all his students, employees and their families for lunch and tea-time buffet before giving them official holidays. Due to the royal ball he had to postpone the event for Monday and nonetheless almost everyone arrived. If the parents were at work, an elder sibling or a relative accompanied the child.

Malika stood behind the table where mini apple caramel pies, Oreo cheesecake and chocolate chip cupcakes were kept. The catering team he has hired for the party cannot stop looking at her preparation. One of them even complimented that her cooking tasted divine compared to their chefs.

A grateful smile plastered on her face. At least the outer world is appreciating her as compared to her own blood.

"I'm disappointed in you," Hadiqa had declared to her daughter in front of Prince Aryan and Malika has never been more embarrassed.

How could she not understand that her daughter does not want to impress a rich man by dressing pretty or stuffing her face with makeups?

She always intended someone to fall in love with her for who she is; a little silly, messy, rebellious, talented and kind. She desires no loaded man.

Sighing, she fixed the stairs her mother went down sobbing. She grabbed the wooden railing and climbed down like a child still learning. Remorse clouded her heart because consequences were the one thing that neither Yasmin nor she had thought.

The tables have turned. They have to accept their fate now.

The moment her feet touched the ground, her brother grasped her hand and pulled her towards the kitchen, shutting the door behind them.

"What is wrong with you?" She yelled, removing her wrist from his hold.

"NO Malika, what is wrong with you? You knew I liked her a lot and yet you...I heard everything too."

"It looks like our family lacks some manners. You could have waited for him to leave then overrun me with your curiosity."

"Just don't start with me, okay. I loved Yasmin for a long time and you were aware of it. Despite you have her dressed the prettiest and sent her to that ball instead of you?"

Kabir wept, shoulders heaving and tears spilling down his face.

"How could you do this to your own brother? How could you be selfish?"

Malika hung her head low unable to share an eye contact with him. His gut wrenching tears pierced her skin like a sharp knife. She has broken the hearts of the two people who loved her the most in one day.