84

Omer House – 23rd September 2018

THE TENDER LIGHT at the break of dawn touched the black Mercedes. Soil particles carried in the breeze settled on the hood. A flock of birds flew across the pastel sky.

In the backseat, Malika gulped her husband's share of apple juice. He ran his hand up and down her back, comforting her.

"Take it easy," Zaeem mumbled.

In the driver's seat, Kabir crossed his arms beneath his chest. His eyes never left his humble abode on the opposite side. He has parked the car on the dirt road leading to Grandpa Clint's stable.

The constant texting sound of his wife's phone soothed his troubled mind. He neither looked nor asked to whom she texted on a Sunday morning. He listened as if they were serene instead of annoying.

Most of the world wakes up late on this side of Athador. They selected a day and time when extra attention and the hustle and bustle of the city would not affect them.

"Maybe they need to have one last conversation. Should we give them some privacy?" Zaeem asked Niyah.

"Sure"

They stepped down from the Mercedes and leaned against the back. Niyah punctured the mango juice box with the straw and took a sip.

The wild flowers' fragrance where colorful butterflies danced enhanced the peaceful countryside. The tall green trees swung in the wind, rustling the leaves.

"It's peaceful," Niyah said, admiring the green and brown scenery.

Zaeem nodded.

"I will build a sleek glass and wooden house like in Twilight in that forest, near Yasmin's house. It's quieter over there."

Zaeem looked at her. "You want to live in Athador?"

"No, I want a vacation house in Athador. I could come here and chill anytime I wish."

"Nice"

"Kabir agrees with me. If their mother agrees to move to your house, he will transform their house and her clothing boutique into a commercial building. He will give it to those street kids. Some of them are orphans and others are from poor families."

"Malika will approve. She has a golden heart."

"It's a complex situation. Their mother has been living for the past three years with the idea that her children are dead. Now they are alive and married into wealthy families."

"Wealthy families," Zaeem repeated with a tint of hilarity.

"Come on, you know what I mean."

"I never had the chance before but I want to properly thank you for protecting my daughter's - Myra, my freaking brother-"