29

Azar Paris Residential – 10th November 2015

WHILE THE COLD POSED no issue to Niyah Azar, her twin Nayir wrapped up in a thick grey wool overcoat along a darker shade scarf dangling from his neck. He relaxed on the recliner by the window overlooking the back lawn of the majestic Azar Residential estate that would soon be bathed in a morning glow.

The prevailing peace started his perfect morning.

The coffee mug by his side from which steam rose in the chilled air and croissant remained untouched since given by his grandmother.

"Isn't it early there, not even dawn? Why are you dressed up?"

Nayir brought a finger to his lips indicating a lower tone and smiled at his sister adjusting the MacBook on his lap.

"I have to drive grandma to a museum. She is meeting someone important as I've been vaguely informed. Due to the morning frost she postponed the departure two hours later and is taking a nap," he muttered.

"Well that's weird. Why would she want someone who works in the lab for an informal meeting at a museum in the cold of November morning?"

"I do hope she is not setting me up with someone because she asked my opinion for marriage about a month ago. I declined as polite as I can because I am not ready for that life. I hope she took me seriously and we are going to the museum for another reason. Enough about me, will you be back home, our twenty-sixth birthday is around the corner."

Niyah bit her lower lip and sent a sheepish grin. She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and grabbed the takeaway cup lying by the bedside. Dismayed, he could tell that she is not coming.

"I'll try my best," she answered after wiping the corner of her lips.

"I still have your text. You said we'll celebrate together this year. Can't you spare one day from your busy schedule for me?"

"I...I'll – Nayir it's just-" She fumbled with her infinity silver ring, not glancing at the screen.

"Okay, I won't emotional blackmail you," he said it, he has to. "Why don't you tell me about the work instead? How's life in Ankara?"

Niyah gave a long sigh. She has been avoiding this conversation for quite long.

"It is a beautiful city and if you mean the Khan family, no, I have not run into them though I saw Zayn once."

He sat straight and leaned towards the laptop. "Did he see you?"

"No silly, I'm good at hide and seek. He is still the usual entitled, spoilt little brat with a woman who would no doubt not last long by his side."

Taking a deep breath, he asked. "Why did you push him Niyah?"

She blinked. "Again, how many times are you going to raise this?"

"It's been years. Why can't you just tell me why you did it?" His gaze held hers and voice soared higher, an impatience no longer hidden. "You have concealed many things from me and I never mind. However this one changed our lives in a way we never expected."

She threw her head back, annoyed and faced him. "It changed our lives for good. We are both successful and rich and independent."

"At the cost of our parents Niyah, I don't have the nerve to contact them and you would not either because you are too stubborn."

"Maybe it's for the best."

"Don't you miss our parents, our sister Myra, our little brother Zaynoul who I'll never have a chance to drop to school or play football with him; have brother fun pranking our sisters? I ditched them all for you and you can't even be honest to me?"

"Nayir please" Her voice broke as a drop of tear fell down her cheek. "It's complicated and more than meets the eyes. I'm afraid I can't talk."

The conversation ended abrupt as all the dim lights from the lamps and the chandelier lit up to its maximum everywhere in the vast living room. Sonya Azar rushed in her clinking heels and plopped on the couch next to Amaya Azar whose nap broke.

"Sonya, what are you doing here?" She asked, rubbing her eyes.

Nayir no longer had his eyes and ears on his sister but his cousin whose parents were pale and haggard. They occupied the opposite couch taking off their shoes as slow possible. In the distance he spotted two domestics calling for assistant to deal with at least ten suitcases of the same dark brown color.

"Weren't you all in Ankara?" Amaya asked, glancing at the trio who were hesitating to open their mouths.

Nayir looked at his sister who shook her head. Hence Niyah had no idea that other members of the Azar clan were there.

"Zaeem broke up with me grandma," yelled Sonya, wiping her cheeks.

Eyes widened and heartbeats quickening, Nayir looked at Niyah again. They were about ninety percent sure that their cousin has been involved with a nemesis from the past. Everyone is so focused on themselves in the Azar family that they have no idea on the life events of other family members despite staying under the same gigantic roof.

"What, how could he? You are his fiancée not a pass time girlfriend."

"Not anymore, he has fallen in love with a girl named Malika Syed Rizvi from Athador. We all assumed he'll be having his bachelor trip there instead he brought her home as his wife. He didn't care about me, his parents or his reputation. Only that blonde bitch mattered like a freaking treasure."

Amaya turned to her son and daughter-in-law.

"You didn't do or say anything."

"What do you expect maa? Zaeem made it clear to his family if not Malika then no one. My daughter means nothing to him. It was pointless to threaten or how else to behave."

"Unbelievable, I will speak to Maryam Khan personal-"

And that name confirmed the twin suspicion a hundred percent.

"I have to go," said Niyah who in a rush did not end the video call but slammed the screen down.