1

Wessam Zoo – 1st December 2014

TANYA OMER ogled the stairs leading to the attic, following every movement of her stepdaughter Yasmin who attired in her usual zookeeper outfit: brown sturdy boots, beige khaki trousers and shirt.

Her wavy blonde hair bounced as she stepped down quick, murmuring something and almost collided with her.

"Oh, I didn't see you." She apologized, her million dollar smile taking its place.

Even looking like an old fashioned tomboy, Yasmin's physical beauty exceeded her own daughters Arzoo and Dilnaz; a bitter truth that Tanya hates digesting from the very first moment her late husband introduced them.

"Isn't your day off today? Why are you dressed?"

Sighing, she began, "Last minute call, as employee of two consecutive months, the manager relies on me. He ordered a quick inspection before the fumigation team arrives at the forest nearby. He had enough on his plate from environmental activists, animal lovers and politicians who seized opportunities."

"Oh, it's okay I'll wash the dishes. The maid would not come today."

"Arzoo is at home, right, tell her to help you," Yasmin advised.

In her opinion being independent means to take care of your house as well instead of relying on maids or parent.

"I cannot, she has done her manicure and the ombre nail design thing trending on the internet. It's okay you go ahead, I'll do it."

Tanya always comes with an excuse for her own daughters, a bullet she mastered on dodging. On a daily basis Yasmin helped in the house tasks. Not today though as duty calls and her boss is counting on her.

Spotting the flat tire on her bicycle, Yasmin groaned and ran down the gravel road. The enormous trees on both sides provided enough shade to keep her safe from the scorching afternoon sun.

Residing in a secluded old manor ten minutes away from the east of Wessam Town has its perks like surrounded by the never-ending peace by nature and shielded by the hustle bustle of city life.

Crossing the rocky bridge, she entered the middle class residential and commercial area, catching her best friend locking the main door of her house. She turned the knob a few times to make sure it's sealed.

"Malika," she shouted. "I need your help."

"Calm down and breathe first. Then ask what you want," she said and proceeded for a brief hug.

Malika Syed Rizvi is the daughter of her tutor Hadiqa where she used to learn the art of seamstress before the demise of her father. Yasmin could have become an outstanding fashion designer given the accurate guidance. Yet she decided to take her father's post at the zoo and contributes a meagre salary in the household as indebted by using Tanya's money to pursue her passion did not sit well.