13

Wessam Castle – 31st December 2014

A SUPERSTITION SAYS that if a bride's henna color darkened, her marriage will be long and loving. Yasmin stared at the pale orange Arabian design on her hands, accepting that superstition is irrational. Nonetheless she slipped the white satin gloves to hide the efforts of a teenager who had applied the henna last night. She will not have anyone commenting about her future married life.

The silver smokey eye makeup had upgraded the minimal facial one leaving her white modest gown with little blue flowers standing out. She wore no jewelry for the dress and heels were too expensive. Aryan even failed to convince her for a small pair of diamond earrings.

She needs his love not wealth.

Not to mention her mother-in-law despite having given her blessing in front of everyone did not interact with her at all and yet kept close eyes when seventy-eight years old, Edda Bint Sheikh, Queen of Athador showered Yasmin with gifts like vintage gowns, watches, diamond necklaces and bracelets.

For the past week she has been living in the castle as a respected guest and had encountered Aryan three times. The elders forbade them from seeing each other before becoming an official couple.

Yasmin had proposed to go back to her house until the wedding. Aryan refused and later surprised her by summoning Tanya and her stepsisters to live with her in the time being.

Sitting at the edge of her bed, Yasmin breathed in and out slowly to calm the jitters. No matter how brave a woman can be, the mere moments before her wedding is always apprehensive.

The oversize wall clock revealed ten past four. The spiritual ceremony is to be held after Asr prayers. Absentminded, she played with the pom-pom on the blanket as sweat accumulated beneath the gloves by each passing second.

A sudden few knocks had her standing in utter panic at once. She fixed her gown and opened the door. Aliyah who looked gorgeous in her pale blue gown and one side braided hairstyle smiled at her.

"I've been waiting for this day," she said, looping her arm around Yasmin's. "It's here at last."

Yasmin pulled the white veil down to cover her face and held her clutch. The walking distance from her temporary bedroom to the bright white living room on the third floor covered in two minutes and forty seconds due to the pointed toe heels.

Thank goodness Aliyah is a patient girl.

Black couches and a red carpet were in the middle right in front of a fireplace. Standing by the window were the priest and Aryan's uncles, one maternal and one paternal. They all turned around when the girls stepped inside.

She had low key expected that Aryan's mother, his aunts or Tanya would be with her.

Taking a deep breath, Yasmin settled on the couch and gave her consent three times. She signed the Nikkah document followed by Aryan's uncles who happened to be her witnesses and parental figures.