79

Wessam Castle –31st August 2018

THE YOUNG PRINCE of Athador woke up before dawn. He craned his neck left to right and rose his arms above his head. His back as usual ached from sleeping on the thin mattress. He is getting used to it now.

Aryan headed for the communal bathroom and showered in icy water.

Changing into a clean uniform, he prayed. His eyes filled with tears when he joined his hands together, asking for forgiveness and protection for his family. He yearned to be with his wife after losing her for three years. But he is mature now, putting an immovable stone on his fragile heart.

His wife is safest when she is furthest from him.

"Please keep her safe, Ameen," he whispered, ending his prayer.

Aryan folded the prayer mat and returned it to the wardrobe. He knocked on his sister's door and twisted the knob. She sat on her bed, combing her hair.

"Let's go."

"I'm almost done. Give me one minute."

He waited by the door, greeting the early risers in the hallway. Each one with a towel hanging on their shoulder headed for the bathroom. Some are more enthusiastic than those who have accepted their new fate.

"Let's go," Aliyah said.

Entering the main kitchen, the aroma of baked bread and fried sausages wafted in the air. One of his aunts has already spread the massive Persian carpet down for them to sit.

"Where are the others?" She asked, pouring black tea into three cups.

"They just woke up," Aryan replied.

"Well, I'll prepare the plates for us three. They'll serve themselves when they arrive."

"What time did you wake up today?" Aliyah asked her aunt, biting into the bread laden with butter and jam.

"Two o'clock, I barely sleep nowadays. Compare to you guys, we, middle-aged women, have been lucky. They don't give us a lot of tasks."

"I wish I don't encounter the devil today. Each time she spotted me, my workload either increased, or she finds a way to punish me, bitch," Aliyah shared with the group.

Her aunt placed a comforting hand on her shoulder and addressed Aryan.

"It's been a month since she gatecrashed your coronation and transformed our lives."

"Wait, a month already," Aliyah uttered.

Her aunt nodded.

"Ladies, this is our fate whether we love or hate it. Baba messed up. We are paying the consequences."