5

Wessam Zoo – 8th December 2014

WINTER IN THE ISLAND COUNTRY of Athador was not your typical ones with snow, cuddling under fluffy comforters, heater or a good old stone fireplace with a classic movie like Home Alone playing while mother is baking chocolate chip cookies and brewing black forest coffee.

It blazed hot during the day till late night and downpours were pretty occasional.

Yasmin fed the flamingos' small crustaceans by placing them in the few buckets around their inner enclosure and sometimes tossed them in the pond when a warm rain fell. Everyone rushed to take cover whether it's the kiosk, the air conditioned aquarium or the houses built to keep some dangerous animals behind glass cages. Very few could be seen pacing around with umbrella.

"I hate this," her co-worker, standing next to her, complained.

"Me too," said Yasmin, sighing in defeat.

Now everywhere will be muddy and sticky, leaving dirty footprints in the clean indoor keep of certain animals. As soon as the rain will subside, they will have to bring out the mops and broom for cleaning which is a tedious task for there is always a shortage of employees.

Taking a rake in hand, Yasmin began sweeping the fallen stack of leaves bringing them together for another zookeeper to put in a dustbin. She pulled out her handkerchief and wiped away the sweat on her forehead for the fourth time that day.

"Yasmin"

She heard her name being called by a voice she had dreamt twice after meeting him. Out of the fear of hallucination, she shook her head and focused on cleaning. White Nike sneakers with mud stains first came into view. She raised her head and saw him in an oversized dark brown jacket, matching baggy trousers with a hobo wig, mustache and beard.

"Oh my God," Yasmin exclaimed, taking a step back. "Prince Aryan, you look-"

"Homeless, it's what I had in mind before slipping out of the palace again. The shoes I ordered were not my size. In a hurry I wore this one and please call me Aryan."

"You're lucky that you said my name first which you remembered somehow before showing up in front of me. I might have screamed for help."

He laughed and put on his black sunglasses. Now he looked both blind and vagrant, a thought that Yasmin preferred hidden in her brain.

A little hesitant and shy despite his scary disguise, she asked, "Missing the zoo?"

"I guess despite I was almost eaten alive. Thank goodness my knight arrived on her horse right on time."

Yasmin's face lit up, eyes filled with joy and soon they were both laughing alongside which did not last long for she spotted the bad boy Kabir walking towards her.