34

The Pearl, Doha – 17thJanuary 2018

WITH SHAKING HANDS, Myra ran her fingers through her hair. She rubbed the back of her neck under dripping lukewarm water, freshening up as quick possible.

The most awaited day arrived in spite of all.

Myra has never checked her phone so much as she did in the past ten days. All she received were 'good mornings' from Kristen and memes from her brother. When Emraan sent her an email for the appointment, she fell backwards on her bed and laughed with watery eyes at the ceiling.

"At last," she had whispered.

Slipping into her soft bathrobe, she scanned her clothes for something that needs not ironing. Ended up selecting a pair of black jeans and tank top with an oversize yellow blazer, she rolled the sleeves up to her elbows and slipped on her yellow ombre heels. Her medium length wavy hair accentuated the look.

Decent enough for her mother not to freak out, she slung her small quilted bag pack and held the railings as she descended the stairs.

"I'm going, bye," she announced, walking by the couches when Noorie called out.

"Should I drop you?"

"No my Uber is here."

Myra walked out of her home head down, fidgeting with the handle of her bag. She has lied to Noorie about attending a charity event to support cancer patients as the latter often donates to similar campaigns. No questions asked, Noorie patted her daughter's back.

Emraan had summoned her at his art gallery situated in the Abraj Quartier at The Pearl. Despite being a foreigner, he was granted freehold ownership as dedicated by the law where he accomplished one of the most opulent galleries filled with his handmade paintings, verses in calligraphy style and artifacts bought from corners of the world.

At the tender age of twenty-five, Emraan became quite successful though Myra's parents had a strong doubt that he used his father's contacts to his advantage. After all Jahani Corporation is one among the finest construction company in the Middle East.

Myra's favorite part of The Pearl is the marina promenade at Porto Arabia surrounded by the towers and luxurious yachts. It never ceases to take her breath away even on a gloomy day with pale grey clouds looming over her head.

Without wasting more time capturing a few panoramic and spectacular views of the azure water, she walked inside the skyscraper and touched number twelve on the display screen in the elevator.

As someone who is far from being an enthusiast of art, she found herself out of place unlike the people walking around, examining and discussing about the colorful canvas.