CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

I'm being served supper by the head maid.

She grinned at me, and I returned the favor.

Elliote and my father both started eating their meals.

I regarded the head maid's soup with fascination.

Father enquired, "Eloise, what's wrong?"

"My soup seems a bit strange."

"What exactly do you mean?"

"My soup appears to be different from yours."

I glance over at the head maid, who is looking straight at me. She disdains me, doesn't she?

"Hey, head maid," I said.

She takes a step forward and bows.

"Yes, my dear?"

"Could you perhaps explain why you harmed me back then?"

The dining room is filled with astonished faces. I could be harsh at times; all I want is for this to end since I detest getting headaches on a regular basis.

She looked at me with a remorseful expression as I crossed my arms.

"I-I didn't, my lady, what are you talking about? I've been serving the duke for six years," she stated with a grin.

"Why don't we check your fingerprint and see whether they match?" I chuckled as I handed her the piece of paper that had her fingerprint on it. "This paper includes fingerprints of the individual who attempted to poison me."

"You can't blame me, my lady; that's absurd!"

"Oh, why can't I? Is it simply because you assume I'm incredibly dumb? Who knows, perhaps you wanted to kill me again by drugging my soup."

"Head maid!" yells the Duke, clearly enraged, "Is that true?"

"No way, sire."

I grin and say, "Wow, you dare to deceive the duke notwithstanding the fact that your face looks guilty."

She fixed her gaze on me. I wanted to smack this motherfucker, but I restrained myself.

"How could the housekeeper, a simple maid, attempt to poison Eloise, the lady of the house?" the duke shout furiously

"I...I'm sorry, sire!" she trembled in dread.

She was screaming in terror as she leaned down to me.

"I-I apologize profusely, dear lady!"

So she's putting on a spectacle while looking pathetic?

"Tell me who instructed you to do this," I said as I lift up her chin.

"There is no one, dear lady, I attempted to harm you myself, I'm ashamed, please forgive me!"

"Guards, bring her down to the basement; she must get the appropriate punishment."

She cried out as the guards dragged her outside, "M-My lady! You can't do this to me! Help, I'm begging you!"

I sat down and stroked my forehead; it's starting to ache, which is bothersome.

"Are you okay, Eloise?" Elliote inquired.

"Yes, brother, I am; I'll just go to my bedroom now." I rose up and walked to my room.

The hunting season begins next week, and I intend to participate.

I looked out the window; it's a tranquil view for me.

This is somehow remind me of someone who's particularly close to my heart

I longed for my mother's love...

__________________________

A/N: hello everyone! I've been editing this story and it's tiring facing the screen all of the time haha, anyway, a very delayed update is anticipated because there are several chapters that need to be edited

thank you for supporting my story and thank you for voting, I really appreciate y'all. Stay safe and don't forget to wear your mask everytime you go outside!