Chapter Forty-Two: Pick Up The Phone

Word Count: 7093

"Freak!"

My head hits the locker hard as I get pushed to the floor, the banging of the metal alerting anyone who wasn't already watching. There's a beginning ache. While slowly sitting up, I hold the back of my head and keep the wincing to a minimal. Whispers surround me as I keep my gaze on the ground.

I bite my lip as my heart races. I have no idea what's going to happen next. If it wasn't bad enough that I was walking alone in the hallway this morning, and I had teachers calling the principal to check if I was supposed to be there. 

"How could you show your face here after everything you've done? Fucking Hell!" He yells, using his quirk to dent the metal harshly as he punches it. He glares down at me. I can't see it but I can feel it lasering through the top of my head. "Did you fucking think that we'd all just forget? Forget how shitty you are? How a freaking psychopath goes to our Middle School?"

He throws the papers down at me, making me flinch at the sudden contact. No matter how soft it was. Gasps erupt and the whispers turn to normal volume conversations. I can hear them all.

'God, what is he doing to her?' 

'You didn't hear? That's the one that caused it all a few weeks ago...'

'Are we sure it was really them?'

'Oh fucking course! Who else in this school could've done that?'

'They've got evidence, there was no way around it for her to seem innocent.'

'That doesn't give him the right...'

'But who would want to defend someone like her? Are you gonna' stop him?'

I watch the papers fall onto the ground around me, eyes struck wide as I try not to react. Then, I remember about the work I've missed during my month off of school. They told my parents that someone would be assigned to give me them whenever they could. 

I suppose he took the opportunity. Not like anyone else would.

"Look at these people, huh?" He kneels down in front of me as he spits out venomous words. His hand lands on the top of my head. 

I yelp as he grabs a fistful of my hair, making students gape and stare. He makes me face them, other hand going under my chin and holding my face tightly. My hand lifts up from the ground to force his off of me, but he stomps on it, making me cry out in pain. My keeps my palm facing the floor.

He grunts, "Look at them. They're fucking terrified by you! Do you understand that?"

Tears are pooling in my eyes at the pain. Physical and emotional. He shouts at me, "Your dad might be a hero, but you're a villain! Your quirk was built for something good, ya' hear? All you do is destroy and build off of that. You can't do anything without breaking something."

A sob breaks through me, "I'm... I—"

"You're pathetic is what you are." He sneers, pushing me away from him as he wipes his hands on his sweater, "I'm only doing what these cowards are too afraid to do. They know I'm right and so you do. You're a freak, a danger to everyone here. Freak!"

The ground beneath me begins to rumble before the surface of the hallway floor cracks, creating a circle of struck lines spreading out from me. Screams erupt and people cower away from me. Specifically, he widens his eyes at me before taking a step away. 

When nothing else happens, he spits out, "You're only ever going to be a villain."

Please don't say that to me.