Chapter Forty-Four: Ground Beta

Word Count: 5114

I sit on the bus, the results sheet in my hands. Katsuki was angrily trying to fall asleep beside me, arms tough against his chest. He kept asking to see my paper, and I kept denying him. He had his own scrunched up in his hands, into a ball. He was frustrated, and I think if he saw my results then he'd be put into a more shittier mood. 

My back rests against the cushion as the bus drives further from the examination centre. I furrow my brows. The first test, I got a 89 on the first test with Todoroki. He asked to compare my first score to his since we had worked together. When he told me that he got 80, I think it was because of his careless attacks at the beginning. He started deflecting the nuts and bolts anywhere. Sure, it's only practice, but we were meant to treat it as if it were real. We didn't keep damage to a minimum, unfortunately, and that costs us points. I believe I only got a little higher because of the plan I put together with him. We were the 53rd and 54th people to pass the exam. 

I stare at the score for the last test. Although I expected to fail because of the outburst, I can't argue with the score I got to pass. A wonky 78 points rests on my paper. Almost as if the instructor was thinking about lowering my score but decided on this. Thankful, but it just makes me curse at myself more. 

My weak points that were pointed out were that I left my bystanders with another. Although they were a 'hero' as well, it says I should've made the time to check on them every once in a while. They were lenient since it was an exam. Another huge part of my points being taken away from me included me beating up that henchman. 

It says I was impulsive and got lost in the moment, and that I need to keep focused even in the worst of situations. It is a hero's task to stay focused. I let myself go. A way I needed to improve was to not get lost in a moment like that. I notice it says something about needing to be trained more, but I can't read it out. They had written more, but it was scribbled out. I don't even want to know what was on that. 

We're not full Pros at this point, we still need to graduate and all. We are only to use our powers as Heroes in dire situations, like when all other Heroes were occupied with something and we needed to protect some civilians. We were given some more leverage. 

However, now we have no adults to take on our failures and punishments if we are working under their name. We'll be facing them ourselves.

A text blinks up on my screen.

Parent Hero: Dad

Hey, Kiddo! How did your examination go? It says on the website that it should be done by now.

HeroInTraining

I finished it now. I didn't get the highest results, but I passed, at least.

A while ago, I changed Dad and Mum's contact names. I had the same ones for years, and I think I've out grown them. They kept their names for me, though. I was still Dad's 'Hero In Training' and Mum had me as 'My Girl' still. 

I send him a photo of my license. I usually didn't like my pictures, but this one was pretty well done. He begins typing immediately after that.

Parent Hero: Dad

WOW LOOK AT YOU GO, ALREADY GOT YOUR HERO LICENSE AT 16??? I SWEAR, YOU WERE JUST PLAYING AROUND WITH MY SUIT  AS A LITTLE KID LAST WEEK!!

He begins to send emojis through. All these crying ones, and then some of fireworks. I chuckle to myself, sending my thanks to him. 

Once I put my phone away, I slide my results paper back into my bag. I'm about to just stare out the window aimlessly when I feel Katsuki's head lay against my shoulder. At this point, I'm kind of used to it. Ever since we moved into the dorms, he's been working harder after and before classes. He falls asleep any chance he gets now, but somehow still sticks to his 8:30 bedtime (like an old man, might I add). I sit up properly, as if to make him more comfortable.