Chapter One: The Entrance Exams

Word Count: 3198

My heart was pounding against my rib cage, I could feel my palms sweat. Why did I feel... so like this? I've been looking forward to this since Ms Shimizu began talking about high school.

My school had a closure day thingy, so I was fortunate enough to not have to go to school on the day of the exams.

I sat on my porch steps, waiting for Hitoshi. He texted me this morning that he wanted to walk with me to UA. Yeah, it was the entrance exams today and I was so nervous. Dad came home a few hours ago, telling me to do my best. As he talked, I couldn't help but stare at the symbol on the uniform he held folded in his hands.

"You'll do great! My daughter is amazing and now UA will see that too!" He called as he opened the door to the house. Dad ruffled my hair a bit and chuckled, "You'll be a Pro Hero like me soon!" I bite my lip a bit before nodding my head. I sigh, "Thanks Dad."

He waves at me before going inside the house and closing the door behind him. I went back to just watching the empty road, waiting for my best friend. I checked my phone a few times, the entrance exams would start in about an hour.

The next time I look, a text from Mum is there.

To: MyGirl
From: ILoveYou2.0
Subject: UA ENTRANCE EXAMS!!!

'Hello, my beautiful daughter! Sorry that I'm out at the moment and can't say it to your face but I just had to wish you luck! I know you've faced some hardships but... you'll do your best!'

I swallow the lump in my throat. I quickly type in a response saying a 'thank you' and that I will do my best. As I press 'send', I hear a call of my name.

"Hey, Y/N, come on. We've got 40 minutes to get there." Hitoshi says to me. I jump up from my spot and walk over to him with my bag in hand.

"You nervous, Y/N?" He asks, glancing down towards me.

"Of course. You?"

"Not even a bit."

Later . . .

Hitoshi pulled me along, grumbling that I was staring at UA's statues and such outside the building. It was all so beautiful I couldn't believe it. "Come on, idiot, we're going to miss orientation." He grunts, tugging my coat collar.

I follow his footsteps into the entrance of the building. The sign beside it said 'UA High School Hero Course Exam Orientaion'. I felt chills just reading it. Other people began sitting in their seats that their tickets said. I was more in the middle of all the stands, having a clear view of the Pro Hero.

Gasping, I grip Hitoshi's sleeve, "It's Present Mic, 'Toshi! He's gonna' be one of our teachers!" Hitoshi rolls his eyes at me and whispers for me to stop talking. Present Mic then shouts out to us, "As it says in the application requirements, you listeners will be conducting ten-minute mock urban battle after this! You can bring whatever you want with you." I press my lips into a thin line, nerves running through me.

I've never used my quirk in combat before. I don't think I have ever needed to anyways. Sure, teasing hurts but I wasn't going to use my power against those teasing me. This would be my first time, excluding my father's training too.

"After the presentation, you'll head to the specific battle center, okay? Okay?" He called louder to the silent audience. Me and Hitoshi peered down to our entrance tickets to see our battle centres. My friend pointed out, "We're in different centers, huh? Guess I can't babysit you like always."

I pout at him and shoot back, "Hey! Don't have to always make fun of me!" He smiles a bit. "But you are right, 'Toshi. I'm in Battle Center A. You?"