Chapter Six: It's Starting

Word Count: 3635

Everyone's been on edge for the Sports Carnival. Part of the reason this was an event was to showcase the Hero Course's talents.

I wanted to train with some of my friends. Sadly, Hitoshi was off the list. Our talk was... okay.

"Y/N, why didn't you tell me that you were in the Hero Course?" Hitoshi asks me at the school gates the next morning. I couldn't walk away from him, I don't want to seem like I'm just going to avoid him until we get over this problem.

I rub my neck and look away. "I—I... 'Toshi, I know how much you wanted to be in the Hero Course." I sigh, feeling my throat tighten a bit, "I really wanted to tell you, I really did."

"Are you sure?" He mumbles to me. I nod my head hastily and retort, "Of course! But then I found it a lil' easier to keep it from you." I scratch my arm, not able to keep eye contact with him for more than 7 seconds. "I took your spot in Class A, y'know? I can't just go up to you and just boast about being in the class you wanted to."

It was about 20 minutes before homeroom started and Hitoshi just found me walking towards school. It was the first time in weeks that we were together in the morning.

Hitoshi glances down at me, hand rubbing his neck. "Y/N, that... that doesn't mean that you can't tell me." He claims, "I don't care about if you're in the Hero Course without me. I just care about whether you likes being in the Hero Course or not. All this time, I thought you and I were on the same boat..." He laughs.

I rub my fingers against my bag strap. "I'm so sorry, Hitoshi. You know how middle school was — what people said about us." A few students pass us. I notice Iida and Uraraka walking by, waving at me before going off. "One of the reasons I wanted to go to UA was to be in the Hero Course with you. I would do anything to have you in my class. Believe me, Hitoshi."

I look up to see my best friend staring at the floor. He fumbles with his fingers before sighing out, "Yeah... me too. I'm meant to make you feel like we're close enough for anything. Since when did we start to keep things from each other?" I bit down on my lip, eyes trailing down his blazer.

To be honest, it took me by surprise when I realised I was keeping a secret from Hitoshi. At first, I didn't think anything of it. I told myself that it was just a school course, as long as we both went to UA. But then we just kept talking about how he despised not being in the Hero Course, and I guess telling him that I was apart of it would... hurt the both of us.

"I promise no more secrets." I make a cross with my fingers and press them against my lips, knitting my brows. Hitoshi looks towards me before letting out a breath and patting my head, "Okay, Y/N. No more secrets." He takes his hand off of me and tilts his head. "But I'll be honest, I'm still kind of hurt that you kept it from me."

I press my lips into a thin line. "Yeah... Yeah, I deserve that. I hope you can forgive me."

"I'll try. Don't want to mess up on the Sports Festival, in case we go head-to-head." He taunts, a small grin. He's trying his best, I know it.

I smirk up at him. "I wouldn't expect any less." I tell him. Hitoshi shakes his head, wiping his eyes before nodding to the side. We begin to walk into the building.

"So, speaking of the Sports Festival," I say, holding my satchel, "I was wondering if you wanted to train together. We haven't done so in ages, and Dad says that it's all fine. He's willing to help the both of us." Hitoshi looks as if he's considering it. Usually, he takes the offer in an instant.

He clears his throat. "Um... I'm okay, but thanks. There's not much he can do for my quirk, so I'm getting training from a teacher here." He informs me, looking straight down the hall. I drop my smile slowly before staring out in front of us too. "Right. Sorry, I should've known you're going all out."