Chapter Twenty-Four: Practical Exams #2

Word Count: 5585

Ten minutes have passed since the exam started. Tomioka hasn't let up on his attacks.

I've made up my mind already on what I am to do in this situation. Kind of. Only on what I want to end with. Since my other plans have failed against Tomioka.

Since he is able to find me wherever I am, I couldn't run away. He was too good for that. So I kept the handcuffs at my side.

I had only one kunai left and use it to create a hook for the handcuffs, so they hung off my hip. I wanted to make sure I never forgot about the handcuffs themselves. 

Our blades clang together and I push further, trying to gain the upperhand against Tomioka. The shine from the metals glare agaisnt my visor, but because of the darkened shade, it doesn't make me wince.

He grunts, the sounds of our weapons travelling to our ears, "I don't suppose that your father told you anything about this, Y/N?"

I shake my head, sliding the sword to the side and pushing his blade into the ground. As it gets stuck in the floor, I twist my body and kick him in the side. He lets go of his handle, grabbing my ankle and tossing me back with a huff.

"He didn't tell me anything." I retort, replacing my grip on my own handle, "But now that I look back on it, I should've known. Dad was always sneaky like that."

My mind goes to the times where I've asked Dad about Tomioka. Or when we went on patrol with Best Jeanist, and he asked the other Pro to take me as he talked with Tomioka. Since the internships, Dad was thinking of ways he could challenge me.

I suppose that's why he allowed Tomioka to do all this extra training. So he could be a better opponent against me.

Tomioka let in a deep breath. "Water Breathing: Tenth Form." He muttered quietly under his breath, shifting the way his sword aimed at me, "Constant Flux."

I widen my eyes. The Water Hashira only spoke out his moves when he was heavily concentrating. I don't know whether it was meant to be a warning or a form of intimidation, but the latter seemed to fit this situation.

Shit.

He suddenly dashes towards me, waves of blue surrounding the food court. I gasp as he suddenly follows the pattern of the splashes around me. His sword comes down towards my head, to which I grunt and deflect.

But then he turns around and strikes to my side. I grit my teeth as the sharpness scratches against my sideways blade. It pushes me back again. And I have a foot behind me to hold myself up.

Tomioka rounds again for one final attack. He jumps up, turning his move into a water wheel and aiming it down towards me. I hold up my weapon to deflect it again. It's about to hit.

But he sways his sword to dip under my one, pulling upwards so I lose my grip on my handle. I try to grab it, but my blade gets tossed to the side and Tomioka kicks my torso, sending me to the other end of the food court. I groan, holding where he hit me.

I suck in my breath as I stand up, spotting my own weapon laying on the ground underneath the one of the group tables that were still standing. I curse to myself, standing up on my two feet as Tomioka stalks towards me.

Quickly, quickly...

"When you're quiet, that's how I know you're panicking, Y/N." Tomioka tells me, holding his handle do his blade was facing behind him, "You talk in order to gain enough time to pit your pre-made plan in action."

I gulp, standing up and instinctively grabbing the handcuffs at my side. Tomioka draws closer.

"You're silent." He states as the chains jingle in my shaking grasp, "So you have no plan."