Chapter Fifty-One: Doesn't Matter

Word Count: 9148

"You're a Pro Hero."

"I—I know, but—"

"Then you can do it. It's the least you could manage for me."

"That's not a good idea, after what you've just been through. Think about it, for a night."

"No. I don't want to waste my time. You're coming with me, end of story."

I'm sitting in the black car that had driven me to the funeral, hero costume in its case at my feet. I did not plan on going home yet, so this would stay at my side. Dad sits across from me, anxiously playing with his hands. He's alone now, he feel vulnerable. Mum went home right after our talk and what explanation she could give me. It felt like nothing, all the words they spoke flew right out the other ear. She had kissed my forehead and left, saying that I was still her daughter, that she still loved me.

But I felt as if none of that was true.

Dad is shifting in his spot. He looks out the window, seeing the buildings that lead us in the opposite direction of UA, towards Tartarus. He had told the driver to take us there instead, and with a hesitant nod, we were on our way. The air conditioning in the car cools down my heated skin as I stare at my lap.

"Are you sure you want to see him? This is so soon. I'm afraid you're making a decision without thinking it priperly though, Y/N." Dad asks me again, for the hundredth time these past few hours. It feels as if he's slowly pushing me to choose what he wants, for me to leave Kai alone forever now. "He may not even be in a state where he can talk to people."

I retort, staring out the window, "He'll talk. I'll make him talk if I have to."

"Y/N." Dad hums out, looking into my eyes with caution. I stare back at him, brows pointed. My fists stay on my lap. "Don't do anything rash. That man—"

"Will tell me what I ask him to." I cut him off, glaring out the window to the innocent pedestrians, "I... I just want to finish this and then go home."

A sparing glance to my father shows me that he has glossy eyes again. He knows what I mean. His bottom lip pulls towards his top lip in a frown and he looks as if he's been scolded by his parents. I would've never guessed he was a Pro Hero from this sight. "Do you think you could forgive us?" He asks me.

My dad has never really needed to ask for forgiveness from me. Everything he has done has been for a reason, and even if I didn't agree, he would try and talk me through it to find another way. He has said 'sorry' for missing my birthday for a villain attack, he cried his heart out the night I came home after summer camp, where he told me that he would try his hardest to keep me from any danger.

But look where that got me now. I will never get those pieces of me back, I may never feel whole again.

I don't know how to forgive them.

He was truly a great father, something that many people didn't have the luxury of saying about their own dads. Which I why I always forgave him after time was given, he deserved it with how well he raised me.

And there he sat across from me, hands on his knees as he bows his head at his daughter. He holds his position as the car pulls to a stop at a light. His shoulders shake with emotion, his voice cracking. I feel like I could suffocate with how tight my lungs are.

"Please forgive us, Y/N. We should've never lied to you, and we should've never severed your connection with your uncle." Dad apologises. I watch him carefully, looking for some hope in his tone. "Maybe... if we weren't so scared all the time, Kai would've turned out different. Maybe we could've saved him, and you wouldn't've dealt with such a complicated family. We should've been truthful from the very beginning."