Chapter Fifty: Brightness

Word Count: 9598

(a/n: please for the love of god do not question any of the medical things i say, i am talking out of my ass and i tried to make it make sense but i am on the bridge of just making y/n overpowered and come out of the mission unscathed, please just nod along blindly, thank you. — ps: i am giving up on gifs, why am i not allowed to do anything)

Did I pass out for a few seconds?

I cannot tell. 

But my eyes are open now. 

Aunt Yori stands in front of me. She is blurry, and I am only guessing it is her figure by the way she is positioned. She's slightly facing the left, shining the purple emblem of 'S' on her chest. Boots don't disrupt the dust falling around us. Her eyes go down to me, cape like mine flowing in the quiet wind. It whistles lightly in my ear. I only lift my head and blink at her. Blood has dried over my eye and I can't open it fully. Sweat is mixed in as it seeps into my mouth, slightly parted. A long, drawn out sigh leaves my heart. 

She doesn't say anything to me. It is tranquil, and I feel a weird calm come over me. As if whatever I was going through was now over. 

Aunt Yori's smile is gentle and aimed at me. My eyes finally zone in on her expression. She is proud. Proud of me

My heart aches. And I feel my eyes sting, the only thing I can physically identify, and tears trickle down my cheeks until I can't feel them moving along my skin. 

Because I haven't seen her. I've never really gotten a look at my aunt, not like how I am now. Desperate. Hopeless. She looks like something ethereal, some sort of divinity lurking in her shadow. I hold my breath, like one small gust of air would suddenly blow her away.  

She then kneels down, reaching out a hand to me. I can't feel my bones or my flesh. But I pull my arm out, roughly, from under my chest, and reach out as she does. I inch myself, closer, closer, closer. I am above her palm, my fingers dancing in the wind. I am helpless, I am yearning for a single touch, I am trying my best

When I let my fingers fall into her caring palm, I fall through nothing. 

Soon enough, I realise she is not there. She has never been. I am still here where I left off, stuck in the hole I have dug for myself. My hand falls, my heart aching even more, into the pile of dust that is Kai's mask. My gloves are doused in the particles, and I ball my hand into the fist. 

This is the least of my worries. 

When my eye drags up into the distance, I see three figures. But I can't... I can't see quite as clearly as I usually do. Everything is spotty, it's a circular outline. Different shades push together as dots. I can't concentrate on anything. Not properly, at least.

I pick out the pink one as Uraraka, holding up Sir Nighteye and making sure he is still. The third is a person of lightning and bright sparkles. And it takes me a moment to make out Eri as well, who is holding onto Deku's back, afraid and unrelenting. She can't let go of the hero, and Deku lets out a loud yell of pain. 

And it takes me a moment to understand that Eri is tearing apart my friend from the inside. 

"Deku..." I mumble to myself, seeing my fingers twitch in front of me. I try to bring myself up, lift my numb body from the ground. My vision shows me that I am now standing at my height, a little slumped over. "Deku...!"

I huff in a big breath, dragging myself over. My joints are all messed up and locked, and I'm not quite sure how tall I am standing right now. I'm walking, I think. Staggering, more like it. Deku comes closer to me and I see the tears in Eri's eyes. I'm in range when my fellow hero calls out to me.