Chapter Forty-Nine: Mask

Word Count: 9193

(A/N: the scenes with Y/N's quirk and her injuries can be pretty graphic, since I'm going into great detail, so please be wary of that!!)

Sometimes I wonder what would've happened to me if I  chose to not go to UA.

All those questions about what I wanted to do with my life? Those people who asked while I was making my choices at the end of Middle School? I could've answered that I was going to follow my mother's footsteps and teach music, or something simple like that. I'm sure that Ms Shimizu would've been pleased with a response like that, and not have given me a pitiful look when I told her what I really wanted to become. 

Or when Dad asked me if I wanted to transfer schools after the kidnapping incident. Ketsubutsu with Shindo, or some other hero school that hasn't been attacked by the League of Villains before. Somewhere where I could be protected, since UA seemed to be a strange choice. My parents probably would've felt that I was safer. I would've been safer. 

What would have happened to me if I just stopped using my quirk after I knew, with all my damned heart, that it was dangerous. 

Anything to have not led me here.

I can't feel my fingers, all my senses zero in on the pain of my bicep and my stomach.

The spikes that have entered my body create this foreign feeling in my heart. It's itchy. So itchy. Like a type of pain that gets even more hurtful the more it beats. It grows.

My heart tries to pump oxygen to my lungs with such haste, but the molecules are exiting too fast. I don't get enough time, enough air. I'm about to pass out.

There's a metallic taste on my tongue, spitting it out only makes me inhale more. I choke and choke, and the blood seeps more into my cloak.

"ALCHEMIST!" Deku lets out a sharp scream. It cuts through the buzzing in my ears. He is pushing off pieces of debris that trap him on his side of the room. But his eyes search me frantically, he is panicking.

My eyes are then trained on the floor, watching as the waves of crimson flow around my form. I'm leaking blood, just like a machine desperately trying to gather the oil back from spilling in the room. I can't help myself. 

"'Alchemist'...?" Uncle mutters from above. He turns his head to Deku before back to me. "Another thing derivative from Sorceress, isn't it?" He shows a disgusted look. "How revolting. Following that woman right down to the core of her being."

The metallic taste on my tongue makes me spit out, hazy gaze going blank for just a couple seconds. A fit of coughs emits from my throat, bubbling up and burning me up inside. My chest feels as if it is filling up with blood, my lungs turn into a bottle for the liquid to hold itself in. 

The thoughts in my head are entangled with one another, and I fear that I am currently unable to form a real plan.

A plan...? For what?

What else? To escape, you idiot.

To escape? You want to escape?

Obviously...?

And how will you escape this one, Y/N? 

My heart skips a beat. It tolls on me.

You're always so slippery, making it out in time, making it out unscathed. Alive and well. You've never questioned how you have managed to do so, something about becoming stronger. But how will you do so now? You can not move in your condition. You are pinned to a wall, and even if you did manage to free yourself, you would only have so much time before you bleed out to death. And on top of that, don't you have your uncle to worry about?