Chapter Twenty-Three: Practical Exams #1

Word Count: 5271

Today was the day of the Practical Exams.

"Have you upgraded your suit recently?" Dad asks me at breakfast.

He sits in front of me, sipping his tea. He's wearing a clean button-up white shirt, black dress pants to match. Dad even had his hair styled nicely, something he didn't even do for interviews as he said 'the appearance doesn't matter, what your intentions are does'.

I shake my head, pushing a strand of hair behind my ear. "No. We had a three weeks notice of final exams, so I didn't think adding anything to my suit would benefit me during practicals." I claim, going back to eating.

Dad raises his brows, shifting in his seat before he tells me, "I see. Have you heard anything regarding the practicals?"

I shake my head once again, drinking from my cup. "Not at all, from the teachers at least." I inform Dad, placing my cup down on the table again, "A student from 1-B told us that one of our senpais said that the practicals were just filled with fighting robots, like the entrance exam."

Dad furrows his brows. "Seriously?" He huffs back to me, leaning in his chair, "Damn, you kids are getting it easy. Our practicals were built on sparring one another like the Sports Festival. They judged our endurance and reflexes, and stuff."

I chuckle, grinning at Dad as I run fingers through my loose hairs near my face, "Maybe they're training us to be stronger than your generation, Dad."

He smiles back at me, as if amused by the idea. He then stands up, staring at his watch.

"Ah, I've gotta' leave early today." Dad speaks to me, ruffling my hair as he walks passed me, "Don't forget to stretch before your practicals."

I swallowed the food in my mouth, looking up to him. He tugged on his jacket. "Um, I always do. Wait-Why are you leaving so early?" I ask, glancing to his bowl at the table, "You've barely eaten anything, Dad."

He zips up his jacket and turns around to me, shrugging his shoulders a little. "Well, you know me, Y/N." He sighs out, tilting his head to the side, "I only get the time right every few days."

"And those days just so happen to be mission days."

"Correct."

I nod at him and smile, taking both of our plates and chopsticks to the sink. "Have fun at work, Dad." I call as he walks down the hall to the door, "Bring me back a souvenir from any big cases?"

He shouts back, probably slipping on his nice dress shoes, "Y'know that's illegal, Kiddo!"

I shrug my shoulders to myself before hearing him say 'goodbye' and shut the door. I roll up the sleeves of my school shirt and wash the dishes.

"I didn't know your practical exams were today."

I let out a soft sigh, drying my hands on the cloth by the sink. I turn around to see Mum sitting in her spot, beside Dad's.

She was silent the whole entire time during breakfast. I don't think I left any space for her to speak anyway.

She was so quiet that anyone would've forgotten she was even there. But I knew. Of course I knew she was there.

"I only told Dad so I could train with him and talk about final exams." I announce to her, pulling on my gloves again, "It's not that big of a deal."

I hear Mum sigh loudly as she stands up. She walks to the sink and puts her plates inside. "I'm sorry about everything, Y/N, but I just can't explain it all just yet." She says to me, hand on my shoulder, "I don't know if you'd understand, or even accept it."