Chapter 9: Precious Pearls

☮ Ace's P.O.V ☮

She looks so peaceful and sweet while sleeping. But, a constant frown troubles her beautiful face even when she is in a deep slumber.

I've been watching my buttercup sleep for the past 20 minutes, still debating weather to wake her up or not. As promised I came by at 4 to pick her up but the lady downstairs told me that she was in her room asleep. 

I was really worried when I didn't see her at lunch and in the Spanish class. But then I noticed Haze wasn't there too. So, I didn't call or text to check in. 

Okay, that's enough of sleep for one day, I'm waking her up. I sit on the edge of the bed next to her. Her lips are slightly parted, making me wanna kiss her so bad. 

"Time to wake up buttercup." I whisper softly, while brushing her hair off of her face and pinning them behind her ear.

She moans sheepishly , making me giggle lightly. 

"C'mon, you promised you'll hang out with me." My fingers caress her cheek and she instantly leans into my touch. She opens her eyes and takes my hand into her small ones.

I look into her eyes and this time they don't seem to reflect the cheerfulness and glee that always seems to captivate me. Instead, her mostly calm eyes are a tornado of emotions. For the first time since I met her, I can't seem to point out any particular emotion in them. 

I furrow my eyebrows at her as she sits up straight, giving me space to sit more comfortably.

"What's wrong sunshine? You seem sad today?" I completely turn to face her but she just gazes at our hands. I put a finger under her chin and lift her face up, so that she looks directly into my eyes.

"Talk to me." In spite of saying something, she crosses the distance between us and wraps her arms around my neck. Her breath tickles my skin as she buries her head in the crook of my neck.

"You're worrying me Hazel, tell me what happened." I say a bit annoyed at the person who made her sad. 

I brush her long brown locks as she relaxes at my touch. 

"I- I'm fine, it was just had a long day." She mumbles to my neck. As if I'm gonna believe that. However, I don't push her. She pulls back, but her weak smile and teary eyes scream the opposite of what she just told me. I bite back the urge of asking again.

"So, where are we going today?" She tries to lighten up the mood, with her fake excitement but fails miserably. Never the less, I decide to play along.

"Wherever you wanna go.."

"Ummm, I'd really like to go back to that place." She gets up and disappears into her closet. Moments later she comes back, wearing a skinny jeans and a pair of white sneakers.

"Lets go"

~~

"You hungry? I ask as I pull up in front of the diner.

"No, I'll have something later." What is wrong with my girl today. With that I step out of the car and into the diner.

The rest of the drive is silent and the only sound is from the radio. When we get there, Hazel walks up to  the middle of the field and stands there, looking at the twilight sky.