Chapter 56: Lost Enough

Hazel's P.O.V

"This is so beautiful." I sigh as he holds me in his arms and we stare at the setting sun, behind the calm, blue waves. 

"You're beautiful" He says, kissing the top of my head, making me smile. 

"Ace..." He hums, still plying with the bracelet on my wrist. "Promise me you'll never give up on me." I look at him. A peaceful smile marring his soft lips as he places a gentle kiss on mine.

"I rather die than, give up on you, buttercup." With that being said, he captures my lips with his. I sigh in content as the familiar minty taste of his lips meets mine. 

"I can help you with that if you want." I hear Richard say from behind Ace, with a gun in his hand. Before I can push Ace out of the way, he shoots him.

My eyes shoot open instantly. 

Ace... Where is he? Where am I? What is this beeping sound?

Trying to control my ragged breathing I look around, to see a woman by my side. She seems familiar but I can't recognize her, coz her face is hidden her hands. 

I remove my oxygen mask and try to speak but nothing comes out. My lips are parched and my throat hurts due to the lack of water. With a dizzy head, I lift my hand and touch the women sitting next to me. 

"Oh you woke up. Thank god you are up. I'll get the doctors." Jane rushes out and comes back with a man dressed in white coat. 

After the doctor leaves, checking for god knows what, I turn to her. "Water." I finally manage to breath. The liquid, eases the pain, in my throat but the side of my stomach hurts bad and there's this ringing noise in my ears. My head too is throbbing with pain.

But right now all I want is Ace? Where is he? I want to see him. Please someone tell me he's okay.

"Ace?" I ask and she burst into tears. Why is she crying? "Where is he?" I ask again, this time in a louder voice. 

"He'll be fine honey. They took him in for a surgery." She sobs.

"I wanna see him." Not bothering about the excruciating pain in my side and head, I throw away the sheets from over me and rip the I.V. off of my hand. 

"Hazel. Honey you are not well right now. Come back." Not paying any heed to her, I clutch my side and stumble out of the room. 

"Hazel...? What are you doing?" Haze catches me as I'm about to collapse on the ground. His eyes are swollen and blood shot from crying and tiredness covers his features. 

"Take me to Ace please. Tell me where is he?" I question. Tears sting my eyes as I look around for him. 

"Okay... but calm down.. I'll take you to him." He strokes my head and I nod. He then walks me down the corridor to a room with a huge tinted window. I look inside, only to see him lying there. Doctors towering over him as he lays, with his eyes closed. His face looks so pale, so lifeless. What did I do?

"Is- is he okay?" I sob. When my brother doesn't reply I look at him only to see him in tears. "Answer me Haze." I yell, instantly feeling the pain in my wound.

"He's been in and out of surgery. Doctors say they are trying their best but, he's lost a lot of blood." 

"This is my fault. This is all my fault." I sob into my hands. I'll never forgive myself if I lose him today. Why? Why do I have to ruin everything good in my life? 

"No honey... its not." Charles says from behind me. He walks over to me and pulls me in a warm embrace. I cry into his chest as he rubs comforting circles on my back. "He's a fighter. He's my son, he has to come back to us." His voice cracks as he looks through the window.