Chapter 19 Part 1

Jungkook bent down next to the train that was stopped at the entrance. Lisa was crouched in her compartment, her head buried in her knees, shoulders trembling.

    Like a poor little animal.

    Jungkook still didn’t know what had scared her, but seeing her like this, curled up here in a ball, he felt… not very comfortable.

    He couldn’t hold himself back from reaching down to touch the top of her head, and rubbed, “Don’t cry…”

    The person under his hand had a slight reaction.

    She buried her head in her hands and rubbed her face. Then, she pushed off her knees to stand up, suddenly letting out an “ah” sound.

    She fell back into a crouch.

    “My,” She looked up with a dazed expression and mumbled in a small voice: “…… legs are numb.”

    She’d cried until her eyes turned red. Against her white skin, it was particularly striking. Her dark pupils were still flooded with tears, rippling like waves, when she turned her unfocused gaze in his direction.

    “……”

    Jungkook suddenly felt his throat was a little dry.

    He looked away and agreed, “Then you sit down. We’ll leave later.”

    He stood up and waited beside her for five minutes before the two walked out in silence.

    On the way, they passed by the [Deceptive Haunted House]’s wooden sign again that was firmly fixed in the ground by a long wooden stake. The chibi skull drawing on the sign wasn’t the least bit scary, but grinning, smiling ironically.

    Lisa seemed to have been poked at her sore spot.

    She walked up quickly, and without thinking, raised her leg and kicked at the stick stuck in the ground.

    Jungkook, who was following behind: “……”

    He looked at her from behind. Her ponytail was slightly golden in the sunlight, and the hood of her white jacket, because of her action, was tilted to the side.

    He didn’t know why, but just looking at her back, he could tell she was getting angry.

    He lowered his eyes and smiled a little, and took two quick steps to catch up with her, “Feel better?”

    “No.” She answered shortly.

    At this angle, her side profile was puffed up with fuming anger. Along with the trail of dried-up tears, she looked extra comical.

    “……”

    He wanted to laugh again.

    Come to think of it, from the first day he met Lisa, whenever he was with her, he seemed to have experienced all sorts of emotions.

    For example, always holding back laughter.

    Some of her unconscious actions, like touching her hair when embarrassed, or kicking the sign of the haunted house when she was angry just now, it all inexplicably made him want to laugh.

    The kind of laughter that couldn’t be restrained.

    Seeing her, even his heart felt warm and fuzzy.

    Leaving the haunted house, Jungkook took Lisa to a bench in the shade of a tree to rest.

    He saw that her mood had stabilized before asking the question that had been on his mind all along, “So… what was going on just now?”