Chapter 20

"Sometimes, a smile is your greatest display of power.

 8 years ago...

"This is now a homicide case. Steve Rogers was murdered and my partner and I are the best homicide detectives there are. So we will be questioning you all first, individually to find out your whereabouts 3 days ago." The male detective said.

"Alright, we don't want to freak you all out." The female detective said as she saw all of their worried glances. "We just want to find out what happened to your friend. That's all."

"Okay so," The male detective pulled out his notebook and opened it up, "We're going to start with.... Sam Wilson."

Farah and Sam shared a glance with each other and Sam wiped his hands on his pants before standing up. He followed the detectives into the other room.

He walked into the room and sat down on the chair opposite from the two detectives. He could feel his heart beating faster and faster... Why was he nervous?

"Okay Sam, how are you?" The male detective asked.

Sam gave a confused look, "I just found out my best friend is dead... I'm not okay."

"I figured. Okay, let's get right into it, shall we?" The male said.

"Sam, where were you 3 days ago?" The female asked.

Sam cleared his throat, "I was at my grandparents house. My grandmother is sick and isn't in good condition. That's why I didn't come on the first day of school."

"Okay, thank you. I can see from your records you were in fact not here until the morning of 2 days ago." The female said.

"Have you seen Steve at all since you've been back?" The male asked.

"No." Sam simply said with no hesitation.

"Any contact with him?"

"Yes. I sent a couple of messages asking where he was."

The male wrote what Sam said in his notebook before closing it, "You're free to go. We have what we need. Thank you, Sam."

Sam nodded and wasted no time getting up and leaving the room. Sam quickly walked to his seat and sat down. Farah looked at him, her eyes hinting with concern, and Sam just nodded.

The female walked out, "Natasha Romanoff, you can come in now."

Nat let out a shaky breath as she stood up. She walked to the room and sat down. Her hands were shaking with nerves and the detectives noticed it.

"You can relax, we are only asking a few questions." The female said.

Nat nodded, "Okay, lets begin. Where were you 3 nights ago?" The male asked.

"I was at the back to school party." Nat said.

"Did you see Steve there?" The male asked.

"I did. Only for a brief second thought, he seemed pretty occupied." Nat answered.

"What was he doing?"

"He was taking shots but I wasn't really paying attention to him." Nat said.

"Why? Was it because he was with someone else? With Farah Hart?" The male asked.

"I wasn't paying attention to him because he's been acting weird for the past few weeks. I thought if I gave him space, he'll go back to normal." Nat said as they jotted what she said down.