Chapter 24

"I'm drowning in this silence." 

8 years ago...

4 weeks until graduation. . . 

"Hey... you okay?" Bucky asked Farah.

She was sitting on his bed, staring out of the window being unusually quiet. Her knees were pulled up to her chest and her arms were wrapped around her knees.

Bucky noticed that she was zoning out. He slowly reached his hand out and stroked her arm, "Farah?"

"Hm?" Farah said as she turned to look at him.

"Are you okay? You seem like you have a lot on your mind." He asked, concerned.

"Yeah. Sorry." She breathed out.

"Want to talk about it?"

Farah shrugged, "I don't even know where to start."

"Just start with whatever keeps making you zone out." Bucky said as he sat across from her on the bed.

Farah sighed, "Okay. It's about Steve. I tried to put him behind me, with all the photos and the rumors that he was obsessed with me... how did we not see it?" Farah scoffed, "He was our friend- our best friend and he was taking photos of me... for years. These past months, I tried to tell myself that he was sick in the head and that he's gone now, so I don't have to worry about it. But, all I do is worry. Every night, I make sure the doors are locked, the windows are shut and no one could even try to snap a photo of me." Farah sighed, "I'm so paranoid all of the time, Bucky. I'm scared."

Bucky sighed as he leaned forward, pulling her into a hug, "I'm so sorry."

Her face went into the crook of his neck and a few tears escaped her eye. She never told anyone this because she thought they would see her as pathetic. She never felt safe since she heard about Steve and now with his arms wrapped around her, she's never felt more safe than she does now.

"If I would've known about him, I would have done everything to keep him away from you." He whispered in her ear.

Farah nodded against his neck, "I know."

"I won't let anyone else hurt you. I swear on my life." He said as he pulled away from her. He looked into her watery eyes and made a promise to her that he'd planned on keeping.

"Thank you. I appreciate you so much." Farah said as she wiped her face.

"Have they called you in for questioning yet?" Bucky asked.

Farah nodded, "Yeah. I have to go in tomorrow at noon."

Bucky sighed, "I'll drive you."

"Thank you." Farah heard laughing downstairs, "Are they still here?"

"Just Wanda and Nat. Sam went home." Bucky said.

"I should go down there with them." Farah said as she moved off of the bed.

"Don't be too long." Bucky said as she gave him a smile and walked out.

Farah went downstairs and saw them drinking. She sighed as she walked over and sat on the one person chair.