Chapter Ninety Nine

)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(

Rebekah was dressed in loose Muggle running shorts and a black sports bra with her robe thrown over her shoulders to keep the sun off of her back and shoulders. She had on black circle sunglasses as her CAPTAIN badge shone in the sunlight.

None of them dared question why she had a dark snake tattoo around her right thigh, mostly because she had already spread the rumour that she would hex and curse the first person that asked about it.

"Right," She addressed the group of students before her in the September heat, "If you're not Slytherin, off the pitch. Everyone is required to do a lap around the field. Divide into groups of ten by yourselves and then you're off."

It was strange to think that her own friends had to try out to stay on the team.

Rebekah was going to remain as Seeker, and Draco was dropping out of Quidditch to focus on his other tasks. He had too much to do to include Quidditch, he was barely doing his Prefect duties as it was but Snape let him off because he already knew.

Tracey, Blaise and Theo were there, standing as the oldest besides for Rebekah as many of the Seventh years were not bothering. They stood to the side of everyone, also a little behind them. Rebekah was the only one still on the Quidditch team from last year, many stopped playing because they had their NEWTs to focus on so she didn't blame them.

On the edge of the pitch, the rest of the Crown sat doing either work or whatever else their teachers gave them already to do.

Having the applicants do a lap was a great idea, weeding out the weak quickly.

After two hours, many complaints, and several tantrums, one involving a crashed Comet Two Sixty and several broken teeth, Rebekah found herself three Chasers: two new people from the year below, Urquhart and Vaisey, and Blaise. Replacing the old beaters from last year were Harper from two years below and Tracey. The Keeper position went to Theo while Logan cheered him on from the benches.

"That's my final decision," She said. "And if you're not happy, well, I don't care."

Regardless of her other responsibilities, she wasn't going to allow Slytherin's reputation of being the best at Quidditch to fall and break.

Reputations were a serious matter.

)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(

As the weeks went on, the teachers expected more from the Sixth year students and that meant the Court was meeting up to practise Non-Verbal spells. It was a tiring affair for the Crown, and even more so for Rebekah who had to watch her friends split in fear of being associated with her.

They had all discussed it beforehand, planning it so it looked like to the outsiders that they slowly stopped being friends and became enemies.

Draco, Pansy and Theo couldn't be with her anymore, and that meant Astoria and Logan couldn't either. Daphne was starting to stray too, leaving Blaise, Tracey and Rebekah together.

In public, they were split, but in private, they were as close as ever.

As the weeks went from September, into October and soon into November, the Crown made plans and plots as the Hogsmeade weekend came.

)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(

Tom Riddle just stared at her, eyes dark as he tried to figure something out but he wasn't going to expose just what he was thinking. He leaned onto one side of his high back chair, one hand cupping his chin as he just stared and the fire crackled before them.

She sat on the other chair, legs curled up on the seat with a sketchbook on one arm of the chair. She didn't pay attention to him, not any more than was needed as the black charcoal pencil worked across the page.