Chapter Thirteen

She made it halfway down the corridors, stopping before the door. Her hand reached for the door, but a sharp scratch to her ankle stopped her. Hissing, she looked down and saw Emperor glaring at her.

"That hurt, Emperor! Really hurt," She knelt down and rubbed the area, lifting her trouser leg to show the red area. She rubbed it lightly with the tips of her fingers.

"MISS POTTER!" A voice bellied out in the corridor, making Rebekah freeze. Her eyes were wide but her lips curved into a sheepish smile as Madam Pomfrey came into view.

"I swear to Merlin, if I find that you are trying to get into that room, I will tell Professor Snape to lock you in the dungeons until tonight," She gave her a sharp look, hands on her hips. "Come, Miss Potter."

Rebekah didn't move, wondering if it was worth it to run away and hide, or face her wrath and possible punishment.

"Come on now, Miss Potter, you aren't in trouble," Madam Pomfrey said, waving her hand to start moving. "Curiosity gets the better of us all, come along. I'll bring you to your room and have a House-Elf bring food. No more exploring nonsense."

She sulked and hunched her shoulders a little, conveying guilt. "Alright, Madam. I'm sorry, it seems like my curiosity did get the best of me. I'll make sure it doesn't happen again."

"Good," Madam Pomfrey simply said.

They began to walk down to the ground floor of the castle, passing several loitering students that finished dinner early. Madam Pomfrey quickly dismissed them to their common rooms, library, or any other place that wasn't the corridors.

Peeves appeared with a bucket in his hands, dosing the portraits in water. One of them began screaming at him but Peeves just smiled and cackled. He did the same to the rest of the portraits on the wall, somehow he turned the water into paint and splashed them. The portraits were covered in rancid and ugly shades of every colour imaginable.

"I swear," Madam Pomfrey muttered under her breath, quickly running after the chaotic Poltergeist.

Rebekah saw this as an opportunity to leave, saying that she would go to her dorm straight away but she slipped up the stairs without being caught. She pulled the Invisibility Cloak over her head as she picked a small Emperor up and put him on her shoulder.

She rubbed her shoulder, cracking the bones in her neck and shoulder blades as every step closer to the door made her uncomfortable. She took each step slowly. She was a step away when something shoved her back a few metres.

"What are you doing, Miz Potta?" Peeves whispered into her face as he shot forward. He had a cheeky and knowing look on his face. "I thought I heard you say you were gonna go to your dorm until your detention tonight."

"Yeah, I did," Rebekah smiled innocently after taking the cloak off of her head. "I thought a small walk would help ease my worries before the detention."

"Now why would you need to ease your worries, Miz Potta?" He began to mock walk as he floated around her, hands behind his back. "Is it someone, or something?"

Rebekah gave him a once over, trying to determine his angle. What did he know? What did he want? Would it help her to tell him, or would it take her back several steps? She would have to take the chance.

"I don't actually know," She frowned, letting her eyes glisten with tears for but a moment. It made Peeves soften his features and posture at her fake sadness. "I-I'm just scared. I just want to know what's happening to me, and-and nothing has been explained to me. And I don't know what to do anymore."

"Ohohoh, Miz Potta," Peeves said, frowning. "I-I—" He grumbled as he took a moment to think, "—think you need to rest! Yeah! Especially with your scar hurting recently!"