Chapter Twenty Six

Rebekah sent Hedwig off with a letter. She would be back for the Christmas holidays but she had asked Snape to burn her original copy of her journal. She wanted to keep her tradition up but she wouldn't be able to if she went home. None of the Second year Slytherins were going to stay during the Holidays, save Goyle and Crabbe.

Mrs Malfoy almost forced Draco to not sign the list of names, she would be very angry and would send him to his grandfather's as a punishment. For now, he didn't have a punishment but simply a good warning and a greater lecture when he arrived home for the holidays.

Rebekah wasn't happy, nor were any of the Slytherins for that matter, that Lockhart would be teaching them in the Dueling Club. Snape was also there, his dark presence a warm sight to the Second year Slytherins. None of them could last another lesson listening to Lockhart talking about himself, or one of his 'excellent and thrilling adventures' that he wrote and taught about. They had enough of that and him in his lessons.

"Professor Dumbledore has granted permission to start this Dueling club, to train you in case you ever need to defend yourselves, just as I have done on countless adventures. There are full details in my published works," He smiled widely. "Here is my assistant, Professor Snape. He says that he knows a little bit about duelling and has delightfully agreed to help me with a short demonstration before we begin. None of you worry, you'll still have your Potions master when I'm through with him!"

"I hope Snape rids us of him instead, completely and utterly rids us of him," Daphne said to the group in a low voice. The rest laughed with a spiteful tone.

"I agree," Rebekah turned her head to the side, flipping her hair back a little. "It wouldn't make any difference if he was here or not, we haven't learnt anything in his lessons anyway. I'm still annoyed about the bone thing."

Snape's lip curled bitterly, displaying his hatred of the man. Any sane person would cower and run away from the display of malice.

Lockhart and Snape turned to face each other and bowed. Lockhart did a low bow with a twirling of his hands, whereas Snape jerked his head in a nod. They raised their wands, like a knight would a sword, in front of them.

"As you all can see, we're holding our wands in the correct position. On three, we will cast our first spells. No one will aim to kill, you all need us, and I hope you all would be sad at our demise."

They swung their wands upwards, pointing the magical device at their opponent. Snape cry of "EXPELLIARMUS!" resulted in a dazzling scarlet light and Lockhart being blasted off his feet. He was sent backwards off the stage, smashing into the wall, and sliding down to sprawl on the floor, like a puppet not in use.

The Slytherins cheered loudly, "WAAAAAY!" It was the best thing they saw all year, and it was even better that their Head of House did it.

"The Disarming spell," He said, getting back onto the platform. " As you can see, I've lost my wand. What an excellent idea to show them that, Professor Snape! But if you don't mind me, it was obvious what you were about to do. If I'd wanted to stop you it would have been only too easy, but I felt it would be instructive to let them see what could happen today."

Snape obviously minded, if his death stare was anything to go by. Lockhart saw, gulped and then decided that it was enough demonstrating. Rebekah hoped to be paired with one of the Ravenclaws or Slytherins; she might have a partner that could challenge her. She was paired with Draco, at least she could do what she wanted without getting in some trouble.

Rebekah slipped her robes off, leaving her in her white shirt, tie and trousers. She pulled her hair back into a low ponytail with a flicker of her fingers towards the base of her neck, Daphne grabbed the robe before it could fall onto the floor, taking everyone's and placing them to the side. She wasn't the duelling type.