Chapter Thirty Two

Rebekah ran to Ginny Weasley the moment she saw the red-haired body. She shook her shoulders, trying to wake the girl up but she didn't stir. Rebekah checked her pulse and found it weak but there. Thank Merlin.

"She won't wake," Rebekah looked up and saw Tom Riddle stand there, all smug and happy.

"Hello, Tom,"

"Don't call me that!"

"Would you prefer Voldemort?" Rebekah shrugged. "You're a memory. How in the hell are you here?"

"Magic,"

Rebekah reached for her wand and found it missing. Riddle twirled it in his finger and made Rebekah flinch.

No one touched her wand.

"Give."

"No, you won't be needing it anyway," He said, stepping forward towards Ginny. "It's very boring, having to listen to the silly little troubles of an eleven-year-old girl. But I was patient. I wrote back. I was sympathetic, I was kind. Ginny simply loved me. No one's ever understood me like you, Tom. . . . I'm so glad I've got this diary to—"

"Don't do a monologue," Rebekah sighed and stood up fully. "I don't care what she did. I already know you possessed her and made her do those things."

He sent her a distasteful look. "Fine," He said and waved the wand to create three words in the air:

TOM MARVOLO RIDDLE.

Rebekah stepped forward and waved her hand, making the letter rearranged.

I AM LORD VOLDEMORT.

"I know who you are," Rebekah said and turned to face the older boy. "But I don't really know your story."

"You see? It was a name I was already using at Hogwarts, to my most intimate friends only, of course. You think I was going to use my filthy Muggle father's name forever? I, in whose veins runs the blood of Salazar Slytherin himself, through my mother's side? I keep the name of a foul, common Muggle, who abandoned me even before I was born, just because he found out his wife was a witch? No, Rebekah, darling— I fashioned myself a new name, a name I knew wizards everywhere would one day fear to speak, when I had become the greatest sorcerer in the world!"

Rebekah didn't really have anything to say to that. She was thinking, trying to process it. "You became feared. People still fear to say your name but you, you are not the greatest Sorcerer."

She stepped back several feet as she knew this would anger Riddle.

Music sounded faintly in the Chamber. Both of them looked around to try and find the source but nothing could be seen and the music was increasing in volume. Flames erupted from a pillar, resulting in the form of a bird. It was large and majestic as it flurried its golden tail.

The bird flew straight for her, dropping the ragged buddle at her feet. It curled its talons into her shoulder as it landed, completely warm to the touch as it brought its golden beak closer to her. Fawks.

"A Phoenix..."

"Hello, gorgeous," Rebekah said and gently stroked his head. She bent down and picked the hat up as Riddle cackled. He began to make fun of Dumbledore and monologue again.

"Speak to me, Slytherin, greatest of the Hogwarts Four." Riddle hissed and Rebekah braced herself.

Salazar Slytherin's stone face moved, opening the mouth to reveal a pipe. It might have been reckless but Rebekah refused to look away. Voldemort was dead. He wasn't the Heir of Slytherin anymore. She was the last living descendant.