Chapter Thirty four

This summer, Rebekah decided to stay home and occasionally visit her friends instead of visiting the whole summer again. She wanted to stay because Uncle Vernon's sister, Aunt Marge was going to visit and she loved Rebekah. She didn't love her parents though.

Very early on Rebekah's thirteenth birthday, there were several owls in her room. Her friends sent her small gifts.

What was it with Pansy and jewellery?

Last year it was a bracelet, this year it was a cute pair of small silver hoop earrings with a line of seven tiny diamonds in it. Rebekah smiled as she put them in. They looked really beautiful with her hair colour and complexion.

Errol, the Weasley family's owl, came in with a package and went for a large drink of water. Inside it was two pieces of paper.

MINISTRY OF MAGIC EMPLOYEE SCOOPS GRAND PRIZE

Arthur Weasley, Head of the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts Office at the Ministry of Magic, has won the annual Daily Prophet Grand Prize Galleon Draw. A delighted Mr. Weasley told the Daily Prophet, "We will be spending the gold on a summer holiday in Egypt, where our eldest son, Bill, works as a curse breaker for Gringotts Wizarding Bank." The Weasley family will be spending a month in Egypt, returning for the start of the new school year at Hogwarts, which five of the Weasley children currently attend.

Rebekah then read the letter Ron had sent her.

Dear Rebekah,

Happy birthday!

It's amazing here in Egypt. Bill's taken us around all the tombs and you wouldn't believe the curses those old Egyptian Wizards put on them. Mum wouldn't let Ginny come in the last one. There were all these mutant skeletons in there, of Muggles who'd broken in and grown extra heads and stuff. I couldn't believe it when Dad won the Daily Prophet Draw. Seven hundred galleons! Most of it has gone on this trip.

We'll be back about a week before term starts and we'll be going up to London to get our new books. Any chance of meeting you there? Don't let the Muggles get you down! Try and come to London,

Ron

PS. Percy's Head Boy. He got the letter last week

Rebekah sent back a happy reply to him but allowed Errol a break before he went on his way with the rest of the owls.

Dear Rebekah,

I'm on holiday in France at the moment and I didn't know how I was going to send this to you — what if they'd opened it at customs? — but then Hedwig turned up! I think she wanted to make sure you got something for your birthday. I bought your present by owl-order; there was an advertisement in the Daily Prophet (I've been getting it delivered; it's so good to keep up with what's going on in the Wizarding world). Did you see that picture of Ron and his family a week ago? I bet he's learning loads. I'm really jealous — the ancient Egyptian Wizards were fascinating.

There's some interesting local history of Witchcraft here, too. I've rewritten my whole History of Magic essay to include some of the things I've found out. I hope it's not too long — it's two rolls of parchment more than Professor Binns asked for.

Ron says he's going to be in London in the last week of the holidays. Can you make it? I really hope you can. If not, I'll see you on the Hogwarts Express on September first!