Chapter One Hundred

)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(

The arrogant stance and powerful Magical of the figure that stood before the windows of the office made Albus Dumbledore reach for his wand before he could tell who it was. It reminded him strongly of a foe yet not conquered so he was careful as the person turned.

Rebekah turned around, her hands tucked behind her as she had watched the moon begin to rise on Monday night.

"Good evening, sir," She said, greeting him plainly before tilting her head. "Are you alright, sir? You look like you've seen a Ghost."

"Muggle saying," He smiled, letting the shock wear off. He sat down at his seat before she sat in the one before him, leaning to the side of her chair like she owned the place. "Did you witness Katie's accident?"

"Only from a distance, sir," She said, crossing her knee over the other as she clasped her hands together to rest them on her stomach. "I was at the Weeping Willow with Blaise. We fed the Thestrals."

"Good, good," He mumbled, knowing there was truth and lies in her words."What concerns me now, Miss Potter, is our lesson."

If these lessons were so important, why had he created such a large pause between the first and second ones? Rebekah supposed these lessons weren't important for her, but rather for him so they were done on a basis that would be of greater importance for him.

She stayed silent as Dumbledore poured fresh memories into the Pensieve, swirling them around the stone basin.

"As you will remember," Dumbledore began, "We left the tale of Lord Voldemort's beginnings at the point where the Muggle, Tom Riddle abandoned his Witch wife, Merope, and returned to his family home in Little Hangleton. Merope was left alone in London, expecting the baby who would one day become Lord Voldemort."

"How did you know she was in London, sir?"

"Because of the evidence of one Caractacus Burke," He said, "Who helped found the very shop whence came the necklace we have been discussing."

Rebekah watched as the little old man revolved in the Pensieve, speaking as he revoltingly did about Merope Gaunt and gold. Dumble gave the Pensieve a good shake and the figure of Caractacus Burke descended back into the swirling mass of memory from whence he had come.

The very locket the Merope had sold was wrapped around Rebekah's neck, still unopened and warm against her skin.

"Only ten Galleons?" She frowned. "Bit of a rip off."

"Yes, he wasn't known for generosity," He mumbled. "Near the end of her pregnancy, Merope was alone in London and in desperate need of gold, desperate enough to sell her one and only valuable possession, the locket that was one of Marvolo's treasured family heirlooms."

Rebekah still frowned. "Did the supposed obsession with Tom Riddle senior cause her to be unable to use her Magic? I read somewhere that emotional heartbreak could cause one's Magic to become unstable, and being pregnant, I doubt she wanted to test the theory."

He nodded, "In any case, as you are about to see, Merope refused to raise her wand even to save her own life. And now, if you will stand..."

"Where are we going this time?" She asked, joining him at the front of the desk.

"We are going to enter my memory. I think you will find it both rich in detail and satisfyingly accurate. After you..."

)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(

After a long session in the memory, both of them were back in Dumbledore's office, sipping tea as dinner wasn't too far away now.

Rebekah stirred the sugar into her lavender tea, sweetening it quickly before taking a sip.