Chapter Thirty Five

The young Witch pulled the Invisibility Cloak over her head and shoulders, walking several streets over before finding an area where there were no houses. Rebekah shifted into her lioness form, settling in between all three animals for some rest. Her black nose was buried into Emperor's fur when he wouldn't settle down. He jumped from the little huddle and walked into a nearby bush.

Her instincts went on overload. The prickling sensation at the base of her head said she was being watched. Where did Emperor go? It couldn't have been safe here, not at all! She jumped up with Fidele around her neck loosely and she tried to find him. When she did, she had to blink and think to herself, was she dreaming?

Emperor was pouncing onto a large black dog, almost looking like a Grim. Rebekah saw that Emperor and the unknown dog were having fun but Rebekah needed to get to London by morning.

"Emperor, come," Rebekah said. "We need to get to London before Vernon finds us."

"Vernon?" It took a moment for Rebekah to process that the dog had spoken. It had sat down and tilted its head. "Vernon Dursley?"

"What's it to you?" Rebekah growled a little, brandishing her teeth as Fidele slipped off of her and showed her scar when she turned to look at the tree line.

"Rebekah?" The voice was shocked. The dog suddenly turned into a man, Sirius Black. Rebekah snarled and jumped, he dodged as he yelled for her to stop. "Rebekah, I didn't kill your parents! I swear I didn't. They were family! Look, look, no Dark Mark."

He bared both his forearms quickly and more than once. Rebekah turned to her human form and tossed her hair to the side.

"What do you mean you didn't kill them? Who did then? Who told Voldemort where my parents were?!" Rebekah wanted to get closer but she didn't trust him, he could have been lying.

"It was Pettigrew, the rat turned to the Dark side and told him. He was the Secret-Keeper but no one knew besides Lily, James and I. He betrayed their trust, not me,"

Rebekah could quite quickly deduce that he was telling the truth. Emperor wasn't attacking him and Fidele hadn't hissed that he could smell the lies. Rebekah sighed and rubbed a hand down her face, scratching the scar a little.

"I can't have a normal year, can I?" She said to Emperor. "First Quirrel, then Ginny Weasley, and now Sirius Black."

"Weasley? Like the family who got the trip to Egypt?"

"Maybe," Rebekah narrowed her eyes. "What's it to you?"

"You look like Lily when you do that," He chuckled deeply, as a car passed several metres behind them, Rebekah could finally see how malnourished he looked. "That family, one of the boys, has a rat in the picture in the newspaper. That's Pettigrew in his Animagus form, lost a finger trying to fake his death."

"Scabbers,"

"What?"

"One of my friends, Ron Weasley, has a rat named Scabbers. He's missing a finger," Rebekah wanted to scream. "For the last two years, he has been under my nose and I didn't know? I couldn't have known though. Argh, I don't care. I'm just gonna go through this year without almost killing someone."

Sirius snorted, crossing his arms loosely around his thin frame. "How long have you been an Animagus?"

"Since the start of June," Rebekah said and lifted Fidele as he slithered back to her feet and tried to climb her leg. "That reminds me, I need to get to London. Argh!"

"Just get the Knight Bus, Cub."

"And how do I do that?"

"Stick your wand into the road and it will appear," He shuffled his feet. "I need to go before I'm caught."