Chapter Seven

Rebekah was the only one of her year in the House of Snakes to stay during the Yule holiday. Of course, older members were staying but none of them were near her age. All of them were in the fourth year or above, luckily the Slytherin Prefects had stayed so Rebekah wasn't defenceless against the older Gryffindors that terrorised the younger Slytherin members.

The First-year dorms were cold, not because the temperature dropped, it had been cold since November, it was cold because there was no sign of life. Everything was polished, dusted, and placed in the correct places, tucked or stowed away. There was no sign of life besides Rebekah and Emperor, who, given a choice, would have stayed in their dorm room and not left unless it was for food or the library.

They stayed huddled together, swaddled by thick blankets and pillows on the large sofa. Rebekah had placed out several books, textbooks, volumes, texts and lined paper on the coffee table, spread perfectly so she could reach for something if needed. They stayed like this a lot, most of the time they weren't in the blankets but today was particularly cold. They loved it like this, they wanted to stay like this.

But no, every single time food was presented in the Grand Hall, Gemma Farley refused to let a First-year stay alone in the school without protections. And since Farley didn't have the skills to duplicate herself to be in two places at the same time yet, Rebekah was forced to leave her sanctuary every breakfast, lunch and dinner without any exception. She was bitter about it, Rebekah had better things to do than socialise with people who didn't even speak to her, and she told Farley this.

"I would rather be in my dorm, doing something productive," Rebekah pouted, stroking kitten-sized Emperor in her arms. "I'm ignored, it's boring to sit there in silence for an hour each time we eat."

"Well, why don't ya just join in?"

"Because, if no one listens, there is no point speaking,"

"Go talk with the Quidditch team about how you can improve,"

"Already did, we plan to start practising after Yule. Flint suggested that we relax for a bit before we start training again."

"Fine, I'll leave you be, only if you join us in the Winter celebrations; you're the only muggle-raised Slytherin in your year. You'll need to know our traditions sooner or later."

Rebehak thought of everything that she knew about Winter solstice celebrations, which wasn't much compared to taking part in it. She shrugged with a lopsided smile, "Alright, I suppose it wouldn't hurt."

"They'll be drinks, some alcohol ones, maybe some from the Muggle World. You won't be drinkin' until you're fifteen, or at least fifth year," Farley said, she shrugged and crossed her arms. "Alright, I'll ask Carrow if food can be brought by Elf."

"That'll be unneeded, I'll ask Talpey if I'm hungry," Rebekah said, thus summoning the HouseElf. "Talpey, can you bring me several brioche breads with raspberry jam and a warm cup of tea?"

"Yes, of course, Miss Potter," Talpey said, his left ear flopped backwards. "With three spoons of honey also?"

"Yes, thanks. And leave it on my desk," Talpey popped away, leaving the two girls alone. "See."

"Alright, I'll see you in the common room at around nine-thirty. Tonight is Winter Solstice, even Snape is joining us. He is always here when there is a tradition to celebrate."