Chapter Sixty Four

)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(-)(

She was glad Mrs Malfoy had forced Rebekah and Draco into learning how to dance over the summer, otherwise she wouldn’t be able to keep up with the steps. Quidditch practise also came in hand, letting her feet move as swiftly as possible through the steps and never allowing the long dress to keep her from moving.
Rebekah’s smile was bright and brilliant, though her cheeks were beginning to hurt greatly. She glared at Logan as they danced. “Stop looking down my front, Logan.”
“The dress looks good on you though,” Logan smiled gently.
“I’ll knee you in the balls, hon,” Rebekah stepped on his foot on purpose as they danced. “Or I’ll tell your sister about the Familiar incident last year.”
Nona kept her eyes on Logan and as soon as Logan and Rebekah looked over, she glared at her brother as she gestured vaguely with her hand and mouthed something Rebekah couldn’t decipher. Logan nodded his head and gulped fearfully.
Ah, the sibling bond.
“Fine. Sure,” He said as they finished dancing and the music paused to let them walk up to the High Table where the judges and Champions would sit. “Thank St Magnus. I hate dancing.”
“Not the only one,” She muttered as they reached the table. She saw that, instead of Crouch, Percy Weasley sat in his place as judge.
Percy untucked the chair next to him, giving her a pointed look to sit there as Logan helped her by tucking the chair in as she sat. Even if he was a bit of an ass, Logan was still raised with certain principles of a Pureblood. She sat up straight in her chair, already unable to slouch due to the corset torso. It wasn’t like she slouched anyway, Quidditch gave her the best posture possible due to the fact she would fall off otherwise.
“New robes?” Rebekah asked Percy as everyone else sat down.
“Mr Crouch promoted me. It came with a raise,” Percy said with a happy grin which reminded her of Fred and George when they got away with a prank. “I’m now Mr. Crouch’s personal assistant, and I’m here representing him.”
“Has the stress gotten to him already?” Rebekah inquired with fake concern. She couldn’t care less what happened to him.“I hope he has a good time to relax then. Oh, food time.”
She summoned her food before Percy could reply and began eating the sprouts and chestnut dish which appeared. Rebekah listened actively to everyone’s conversation while she ate quietly.
“—Never dream of assuming I know all Hogwarts’ secrets, Igor.” Dumbledore said with a questioning smile towards Karkaroff. “Only this morning, for instance, I took a wrong turn on the way to the bathroom and found myself in a beautifully proportioned room I have never seen before, containing a really rather magnificent collection of chamber pots. When I went back to investigate more closely, I discovered that the room had vanished. But I must keep an eye out for it. Possibly it is only accessible at five-thirty in the morning. Or it may only appear at the quarter moon - or when the seeker has an exceptionally full bladder.” 
Rebekah snorted into her Butterbeer but saved herself from making a mess, excusing herself by saying she had made the drink go down the wrong pipe.
She remembered Talpey once speaking of a ‘come and go room’ as the HouseElves called it.  She had never tried to find it, she had no need for it. Even with Rebekah’s almost nightly adventures into the dark halls of the castle, she hadn’t come across the room before. She’d have to ask Talpey where he thought it was. Perhaps she would find a use for it later on, but for now she’d leave it alone. 
She had enough on her plate with all of her lessons, and private study, and her study of the Dark Arts. Gods, she had a lot of things to do before this year was finished. And having to win the tournament, because her pride wouldn’t allow anything else, would be added on top.
“So you’re a Pureblood?” Logan asked, trying to start a conversation with her.
She shook her head as she finished her mouthful. “Dad was. My mum was a Muggleborn Witch.”
She knew Karkaroff’s eyes flickered to her as she spoke but she just continued to sip at her Butterbeer and finish her meal. Rebekah knew that Durmstrang didn’t allow Muggleborns, she didn’t really know the answer as she had never actively researched for it. She presumed it was due to tradition.
“Was?”
“Both of them are dead,” Rebekah said nochelontley as she took a sip of her Butterbeer. “They were killed when I was one years old by Voldemort.”
The table fell silent. Karkaroff glared at her like she was the scum of the earth while he held a tense bundle of fear in his eyes.  Everyone looked at her.
“What?” Rebekah asked sharply. “I’m not giving him the satisfaction of fear by refusing to say his name.”
“Good, good. Fear of a name increases fear of the thing itself,” Dumbledore smiled as he raised his goblet before drinking. “Anyway, I believe the Weird Sisters are ready for the dancing to begin if everyone would like to stand up and get the tables cleared away.”
With that, the tables zoomed to the sides of the hall, creating plenty of space to dance and yet leaving enough room for people to sit down if they wanted.
The music pulsed through the air, low in volume and almost mournful in tune. The Weird Sisters played through instruments that floated and yet they were able to keep their grip on them.
Rebekah just sat at the table after Logan gave her a wink and quickly walked off. She wasn’t much of a dancer to begin with. Sure, she would dance in private and with her friends, but she wasn’t in the mood to dance tonight.
She smiled at her friends, watching as they danced together and tried to wave her in to join her. She shook her head, mouthing that she didn’t like to dance. They didn’t fall for it, Theo ran up to her and quickly tugged the Potter Heiress into the crowd while the rest of the group grabbed them and pulled them closer.
Magic was in the air.
Dancing was one of the best ways to conduct Magic and that was why Pagans had so many traditions and rituals that involved dancing. It invoked the physical and mental categories of Magic and entined them together as they danced. There was nothing like dancing in the dark as Magic filtered through the air, swirling around everyone.
They didn’t need partners nor did their partners need them. Magic was one and the same for everyone dancing between the crowd, creating enchanting movements with their steps and music.
The cool ice froze in place before it could start melting. Time didn’t make sense when dancing, it could be barely seconds or perhaps even hours before they noticed and decided to stop. Dancing was timeless and would absorb anyone it could to continue.