Chapter Six

In the next few weeks, Hogwarts found herself covered in snow several feet thick. The lake froze, the icy layer was around ten feet thick and barely showed through the top of Rebekah's window.

Instead of being the drafty, damp cold dungeons as the other Houses believed that the Slytherin common room would be, it felt like very early spring. All the Slytherin students swore their black or dark grey vests under their robes, the older years taught the younger warming charms that lasted several hours.

Rebekah had signed her name to say that she was staying the Yule holidays within Hogwarts' walls. Aunt Petunia, Uncle Vernon and Dudley understood, well, Petunia and Vernon did. Rebekah had stated in her letters that she preferred to stay the holidays as she could catch up with any work that she needed to finish. Her gifts would be sent by eagle on the 25th of December.

Rebekah and her Slytherin year mates finished their potions lessons for the day and were the first to leave the class. As they left the classroom, a large Fir tree blocked the corridor. They instantly knew that Gameskeeper, Hagrid was the cause of this inconvenience.

Ronald Weasley shoved past Draco, elbowing Rebekah in the process. It caused her to elbow him a bit harder in the side than needed. The small group of Slytherins laughed when he glared back at them.

"Hi, Hagrid," Weasley popped his head through the branches of the Fir tree. "Want any help?

"Would you mind moving out of the way?" Draco said coldly. "You want to make some extra money for you and your family? Or are you hoping to become groundskeeper? His hut must be a palace compared to the hovel that your family is used to."

"Draco, you know that isn't nice," Rebekah said. "Even if you are putting it nicely. But we all know the truth so it is fine to say, I suppose."

Weasley dived at them. He grabbed the front of Draco's robes. The latter just smiled and laughed as the bat-like Snape came up the stairs.

"Weasley!" Snape said as Weasley jutted away from Draco.

"He was provoked, Professor Snape," Hagrid said. "Malfoy was 'nsulting 'is family."

"Fighting is still against Hogwarts' rules, Hagrid. You should know that fights of all natures unless during the duelling club, are prohibited. Ten points from Gryffindor. Move along, all of you."

The small group shoved past the tree, scattering nettles onto the floor. They chuckled a little, hurrying down the hall.

"There's been talk of a creature on the third floor," Pansy said as they went into the library. "The one Dumbledore warned us about. Some of the older years, sixth years I think, went there and found a dog. But not a normal dog, it has three heads!"

"You mean a Cerberus, then. The three-headed dog from the Netherworld. Pet of Hades," Rebekah said.

"From one of your books, yeah?" Blaise asked.

"Yeah," Rebekah shrugged. "When don't I know something from my books?"

"True," Daphne laughed. "Also, isn't it true that you're staying the holidays here and not going home?"

"Yes, I've decided to stay the holidays since I'll be able to catch up on work,"

"What's the real reason?" Draco said, looking to the others. "We all know that isn't the only reason. Spill."