Chapter 31: The Saber-Toothed Tiger

-Ben's POV-

As the sun was starting to set I made a fire using some rocks I found and some sticks that the others found to put the fire on. Later that night when the fire was going we sit around it feeling defeated and exhausted from everything that's been going on lately.

Gabby is sitting down next to me with her head resting on my shoulder. I look down at her before looking around at the others, we all had the same sad expression on our faces.

"I set out on a narrow way
Many years ago
Hoping I would find true love
Along the broken road
But I got lost a time or two
Wiped my brow and kept pushing through
I couldn't see how every sign
Pointed straight to you

That every long lost dream led me to where you are
Others who broke my heart, they were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
Ooh, ooh
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you"

I look down at Gabby and smile at her in awe, she sings like an angel. The rest of the group looks at Gabby and listen to her sing.

"I think about the years passin' through
I'd like to have the time I lost and give it back to you
But you just smile and take my hand
You've been there, you understand
It's all part of a grander plan
That is coming true

Every long lost dream led me to where you are
Others who broke my heart, they were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you
Yeah

And now I'm just a-rollin' home
Into my lover's arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you"

Gabby lifts her head up from my shoulder and looks at me.

"That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you"

No words can describe or even explain how much I love this girl. Gabby is my world and I will do anything to protect her.

-Gabriella's POV-

Ben smiles at me in awe before we both leaned in and kissed, when we break away from the kiss we look into each other's eyes until we hear Sammy's voice say "awwww, look at the two lovebirds. I really think you guys's ship name should be Gaben, spelt with one 'B' or two? I really don't mind either way" my cheeks start going red. Ben's as well.

I rest my head on Ben's shoulder again, Ben kisses the top of my head before resting his head on mine. We all sat there in silence for a long while. Sammy grunts and stands up she closes her eyes before letting out a scream from frustration.

The rest of us look up at her with a surprised look on our faces. Then Yaz stands up and lets out a scream of frustration, well it was more like a yell than a scream. Darius follows and gets up from the ground before screaming followed by Brooklynn and Kenji who also let out a scream.

Ben and I are the only ones who aren't joining in until Sammy grabs Ben by the wrist and pulls him up. I stand up to. Then we all join hands and continued to scream and yell. Well, except for me and Ben who stayed quiet.

This feels like we're doing a ritual of some kind.

Later that night when the fire went out we decided to all go to sleep. Ben wanted to be the little spoon for a change, I didn't mind. I lay down on the ground and Ben lays down next to me with his back against my chest. I wrap my arms around him before leaning over and giving him a kiss on his cheek.

"Good night" I whispered in his ear.

"Good night" he says back, sleepily.

When I was in the middle of having an unpleasant dream I get woken up by Ben. Who gasps awake and starts panting "Ben, what is it?" I asked, sitting up next to him. I see that he's looking at the bushes before he goes over and blows onto one of the sticks.

"Guys" he says, huffing and puffing onto the stick.

"Guys!"

Everyone else wakes up "what's up?" Darius asked, sitting up. "There's something out there" Ben replied, then Kenji sits up "what's going on?" He asked.

"I heard a noise" replied Ben.

"Are you sure, Ben? Maybe this is like yesterday, with the berries" said Darius.

"I'm sure. At least... I think?"

Then we heard leaves start rustling which made us all gasp. Suddenly a saber-toothed tiger leaps out of the bushes, growling. We all scream and whimper. We get up from the ground, Ben picks up the stick with the fire on it. The rest of us stand behind Ben.

"What is that?" Brooklynn asked.

"A saber-toothed tiger" replied Darius.

The saber-toothed tiger growls at us again before slowly walking around the fire pit we made "I told you we time-traveled" said Kenji. I roll my eyes "shut up, Kenji" I say to him.

"What do we do? What do we do? What do we do?" Sammy asked.

Ben looks over at the canyon and then back at the saber-toothed tiger "hey! Toothy! This way!" He says as he runs off. The saber-toothed tiger chases after him.

"No, Ben, no!"

"No!"

We run after Ben and watch him jump from cliff to cliff before falling over I tried running faster, the saber-toothed tiger leaps forward but misses Ben. Ben let's go of the edge and falls into the canyon with the saber-toothed tiger.

"Ben!" I call out.

"No, Ben!"

"What?"

"Ben, no!"

We run across the top of the canyon, all panting. I was leading the way with Brooklynn. Kenji suddenly runs past us "Kenji?" Brooklynn asked. Kenji runs faster before jumping over the side of the cliff to save Ben from the saber-toothed tiger.

Once Kenji and Ben came close enough to our impact zone. The others and I start throwing rocks at the saber-toothed tiger after pushing a boulder down into the canyon to stop the saber-toothed tiger from getting Ben and Kenji.

Ben climbs up onto the boulder before yelling and throwing a rock at the saber-toothed tiger. The saber-toothed tiger runs off as if it knew it wouldn't be getting anything to eat.

"Whoo!"

"Yeah!"

"All right!"

We run to the entrance to the canyon and saw Ben and Kenji exit the canyon and they had stopped to catch their breath. Ben and Kenji look up and see the five us running over to them, they look at each other and smile at each other.

I ran up to Ben and wrapped my arms around him before giving him a long kiss on his lips "please don't ever do anything like that again, you scared me" I say after breaking away from the kiss. Ben looks down at me and wraps his arms around me.

"Well, I guess we're even now. After that sandstorm, I thought... I thought I lost you"

"Then I guess we'll always come back to each other, right?"

Ben smiles and we hug again.