Chapter 32: Meeting Dr. Mae Turner

-Gabriella's POV-

"Oh! You idiots! What were you thinking?" Brooklynn asked, concerned.

""Thinking"? That didn't play a huge part in it" Kenji replied.

Everyone laughs. Then Ben steps away from the group and walks away from us "Ben, what's wrong?" Darius asked, worriedly. "It's just that..." He turns around to look at us.

"I worked so hard to not be "scared Ben" anymore. But the minute we leave Nublar, I'm right back to square one. Freaking out with the berries. Freaking out about the tiger" he goes on.

"Which is the reason why we're all alive right now. If you didn't warn us..." Sammy replied, and sighs.

"Yeah, well, at least "scared Ben" is good for something" replied Ben.

"Hey! Pity party of one, you also jumped into a cave with a tiger to get it to stop chasing your friends" says Yaz.

Kenji chuckles "saber-toothed tiger! Pretty sick, dude" he says.

I walk right up to him and put my hand on his shoulder "you may not be fearless-island-Ben, but you're not scared-camp-Ben either. Maybe now, you're finally just... Ben" I say, Ben laughs.

"That does have a nice ring to it" replied Ben.

"And I'm just Kenji... The brave" Kenji comes over and puts an arm around Ben's shoulders. Brooklynn comes over and puts her hand on Kenji's shoulder.

"I guess that makes me Brooklynn, the smart. Right, Kenj?"

Ben, Brooklynn, and Kenji all laugh.

"What I was gonna say is. Now that you're just trying to find yourself and discover who you are, it might become hard for you to be in a relationship when you're trying to find yourself. So--"

"Please don't say you're breaking up with me, I love you"

"I'm not breaking up with you. I'm gonna be here to support you through no matter what"

Ben hugs me "I love you so much, Gabby. Your support means a lot to me" he says as I hugged him back. After a while it went quiet. "So, what now?" Yaz asked, breaking the silence. "Now, we do the only thing we can do. Keep going" I reply.

"And look out for saber-toothed tigers, freak sandstorms, and whatever the heck else this place has in store for for us" says Darius, chuckling.

"At least, we have each other" replied Ben, looking at me and smiling, with love in his eyes.

"That's the best "at least" yet" said Sammy.

The sun is just coming up and we're walking across the desert to who knows where but that doesn't seem to bother any of us. Ben and I are walking in front of the group with Yaz and Sammy behind us. Darius is walking with Brooklynn and Kenji is walking behind Brooklynn.

I hear Kenji groan behind from the back of the group "it's too quiet" then I hear Brooklynn reply to him "we're hot, thirsty, in the middle of nowhere, and maybe surrounded by who knows what, but that's your complaint?" She asked.

"Yeah. Because at least we can do something about it" replied Kenji.

Kenji then starts babbling, a few seconds later we heard a thud and someone falling over. I look behind me and noticed Kenji has fallen over something so we all go over and check it out.