|104| The Provisional License Exam

Note:
The things occurring with Joke, Aizawa, Irina and Karasuma will be underlined; all things happening in the actual Exam will be in regular font

ON WITH THE STORY

"There's so many..." marvelled Midoriya, gazing around at the many students surrounding them in the Orientation room.

"Uh..." a tired voice entered through the loudspeakers, "well, let's do that Provisional License thing you all came here to do... I'm Mera from the Heroes Public Safety Commission, the kind of sleep I like is non-REM sleep... nice to meet you. I've been so busy that I haven't gotten much sleep... we're too short-staffed..."

Is he... is he okay...

"With that conviction, I'll give you the orientation," he began, "about the content of the thing... frankly, all 1,540 examinees here will have to win through a free-for-all exercise..."

1,540?!

"Our country is currently said to be saturated with Heroes; ever since Stain was arrested and Crimson Death has suddenly risen the ranks as Japan's Worst Assassin, many have shown doubts about the current state of the Heroes," he yawned. Rie smiled awkwardly, feeling Iida, Kirishima and Bakugo's gazes on her.

"Well, as a private citizen, no matter what the motivation, to tell someone risking their lives to save others not to seek any rewards is... well... it's the ruthless story of these modern times. But, anyway, whether it's for compensation or loyalty or courage, the result of many Heroes working hard together to help people and defeat Villains is that right now, the time from when an incident begins to when it is resolved is so short it'd make you sick."

"You're all about to receive your Provisional Licenses and finally throw yourselves into the rapids. Those who can't keep up with that speed will frankly have it rough Accordingly, what you'll be tested on is speed!"

A number flashed on the screen behind him

"The first hundred to fulfil the requirements will pass."

"The passing rate for the exam was no joke, then..." muttered Ojiro.

"This is scary..." whined Jiro.

"Well, a lot's happened out there in the world," Mera stood, "and, y'know, about luck and everything... so anyway, here are the requirements."

He held up a ball and a device.

"The examinee will put three of these targets on their body, they can go anywhere as long as it's an exposed area. You can't put them on the soles of your feet or in your armpits. You will also have six of these balls. The targets are made to light up only if they're hit by these balls, and if all three of your targets light up, you're out. You will get through this round by eliminating at least two people."

A group of stage-hands appeared with boxes, handing out each of the equipment.

"Alright... after we open, we'll pass out the balls and targets, and we'll start one minute after we've gotten to everyone."

O... pen?

The building began shaking, the ceiling opening up like a cardboard box would, revealing it was in the centre of a battlefield similar to U.S.J.

"You all have terrain you like and dislike, correct? Use your Quirks well and do your best, I guess."

Why is it so large...

"Eraser... your fly's down," Joke stifled a laugh, the said male's eye twitching.

"Karasuma... your shirt isn't buttoned up..."

Why is everyone around me so noisy...?

"Ah, but I can't believe you have 21 students this time... normally you always have less than 20, since you always expel at least one of them," she hummed, "you like your class this time, huh?"

"Not really," he stated stoically.

"Aww, don't be embarrassed," she teased, "that's so lame... go out with me!"

"Shut up."

She burst into peals of laughter, Aizawa frowning as the temptation to leave and go to another area of the stands grew stronger.

"But still, it's strange..." she hummed, leaning over, "there's no way you don't know about that."

"'That'?" echoed Karasuma, prying Irina off of him, "what is 'that'?"

"Oh... I haven't seen you before," the female hummed, "are you new?"

"I was hired this year, yes," he stated slowly.

"If the first people to finish win, then nobody's going to go after people from their own school," Midoriya began as the group ran aimlessly, "the way to win would be to team up with people whose power they already know. Everyone, don't get separated, let's move as a group!"

"Yeah!" beamed the group, though a few people weren't too happy with this idea.

"Yeah right, this ain't some sort of field trip," snarled Bakugo, "I'm going on my own."

"Idiot, wait up-" Kirishima muttered, going after him with Kaminari trailing behind.

"I'm going on my own as well," Todoroki informed, "my Quirk's hard to use in large groups.

"I don't do well in groups, if I'm being honest," Rie hummed, turning slightly back to face the class, "see you all at the end."

"W-wait, Rie, Todoroki..."

"Every year, the test is different... but there's one thing that's almost like a tradition for this Provisional License Exam," explained Joke, leaning forward as she supported her chin on her hand.

"I don't think it's a good idea to go alone, though..."

"Why not?" questioned Mineta.

"Because, y'know! Everyone already knows what Quirks we have!"

Realisation slowly dawned on their faces.

"They do?" questioned Uraraka hesitantly.

"I see... the Sports Festival!"

"As all of the high schools around the country compete to pass the Provisional License Exam, the only high school that's lost the advantage of nobody knowing their Quirks..." she grinned widely, "the top school whose Sports Festival is broadcast across the country, showing not only their Quirks, but also their weaknesses and fighting styles."

She eyed him, smirking victoriously.

"Your school."

"The other schools should have also figured out what I said earlier about the way to win," Midoriya explained, "which means it'll be a battle between schools... which means they'll start thinking about which school to go after first."

"Don't tell me..."

The alarm blared through the stadium.

"First test, start!"

"If you like your class this year, then you should've told your students," she hummed, "what always happens at the beginning..."

"The crushing of U.A."