|6| A Curious Friendship

"Do you know what a Quirk Marriage is?"

Startled, the girl gazed up to see Todoroki sliding into the seat next to her with a placid expression resting on his face. She shook her head slowly, wondering what was going on and why he was giving her such a dark look. He sighed.

"My dad's Endeavor, I'm sure you know he's been stuck as the Number 2 Pro Hero since All Might... took first place," he started, the girl sweat-dropping. Okay, now he's telling me his life story... "My old man has a desire to rise in the world-"

"Doesn't everyone?" she snorted, faltering once he gave her a cold glare, "continue...."

"As a Hero, he won a name for himself with crushing force. Because of that, the living legend himself, All Might, is a great eyesore to him. Since he couldn't surpass All Might, he moved onto the next plan."

"Are you going somewhere with this?" she interrupted.

"You don't know what Quirk Marriages are, right?" he ignored, "they became a problem for the second and third generations after Quirks appeared; choosing a spouse only on strengthening your own Quirk and passing it onto the children, forcing people into marriages. He's a man with money and power; he won over my mother's relatives and got a hold of my mother's Quirk. He's trying to fulfil his own desire by raising me to be a Hero to surpass All Might."

The girl's eyes widened in the revelation of what he was trying to tell her.

"This sucks... I won't become the tool of scum like that."

The girl swallowed the lump that had formed in her throat, nodding for him to continue.

"In my memories, my mother is always crying."

In my memories, my mother is always yelling at me, screaming for me to kill-

He placed his left hand to his scar, a distant gaze in his eyes.

"'Your left side is unsightly'," he recalled, "then she poured boiling water on me."

The assassin tensed, not knowing that the quiet boy in the back of the classroom had such a horrific past. But, she could sense a warm feeling inside her. What it was, she wasn't sure. But she knew that she had suffered the same way (albeit possibly worse or better, she wasn't sure how to describe her domestic situation) and she blinked.

"He hit me and my mother, separating from my elder siblings as he continuously trained me, beat me up for not using my left side," he murmured, and at this point, Rie just let him talk, "when I was five, he sent my mother to the hospital in the belief that she was insane for ruining me, his masterpiece..."

"And that's when I decided, in battle, I will never use my left side. I refuse."

The girl blinked, pointing to his untouched soba.

"You gonna eat that?"

He sighed, nodding as he began eating, continuing to eye the girl, shocked as she stuck a hand out. She frowned, also not knowing why she had done that. She sighed.

There was no backing away now.

"I-I thought you said you weren't here to make friends?" he raised a brow.

"Y-you just shared your entire life story," she deadpanned. "Besides... this is a school... might as well."

He eyed her hand carefully, sighing as he accepted it.

"You better not make me regret this... Rie."

~TIMESKIP~

"Hey, Ha-Rie."

She exhaled deeply, turning around to face the Pro Hero who gazed at her, adjusting his sleeves as he adjusted his scarf. He raised a brow.

"Need something, Eraser Head?"

"Call me that when we're alone."

She sweat-dropped.

"But we are alone."

He gazed around, sighing as he realized he was telling the truth.

"Look... about the transfer classes, we've pre-arranged a class for you, Class 3-A." She raised a brow, slinging her brow over her shoulder. "Once you have made your choice, inform Nezu or I and we'll-"

She walked forward, through the rows of desks, piquing his interest as he straightened up, pausing at his desk. A scowl made its way onto the young assassin's face, reaching into her jacket and flashing a knife, the blade shining into his eyes.

"Look, if you keep pestering me, I won't answer. Give me some time."

And with that, she turned on her heel and left the Pro Hero standing alone in the classroom as he ran a hand through his hair, heaving heavily with a small frown.