|110| The End of the Exam

"Okay... everyone, thanks for your hard work... now I'll announce the results, but before that, I'll tell you about the scoring system. Between those of us at the Heroes Public Safety Commission and the H.U.C., we had a two-fold demerit system we used while watching you. In other words, we were evaluating you on how few mistakes you made in a crisis situation."

Everyone held their breath.

"The names of those who passed are in alphabetic order. Please check the list and keep those words in mind."

Ba-dump.

Ba-dump.

Ba-dump.

She sighed in relief, seeing her name.

She heard the simultaneous sighs of relief and cheers from many of her classmates, though some-

"I guess it's to be expected," whispered Kaminari, the girl slowly away from the explosive blonde. She watched as Todoroki's expression darkened, her eyes scanning the 'T' section.

"Todoroki!" Inasa marched up to the said boy and bowing sharply, his head hitting the ground once again, "I'm sorry! It's my fault you didn't pass, because I was too narrow-minded!"

His eyes softened.

"The path I was on until now as that man's son... it's something I need to learn to bear as I aim to become a Hero," he stated, his eyes downcast, "it's not your fault, I started it in the first place. There were things I realised thanks to you confronting me directly, as well..."

"Wait... Todoroki didn't pass either?"

"Both of our top two failed?"

"Because they are both highly-skilled, they ended up fighting against their own egotism," Mineta stated smugly.

"Mineta!" hissed Rie.

"The hierarchy's collapsing~" he hummed, Iida slapping him across the cheeks and setting him down, eying the boy with concern.

"Uh... next we'll pass out your results, they'll have a breakdown of your scores, so please look over them carefully... the cut-off score was 50 points, we scored based off of a demerit system, and you can see how many points were taken off for which actions all listed out on the printouts."

"You got 94?!" whisper-yelled Jiro, snatching Yaoyorozu's sheet.

"How did you two go?" Rie walked over.

"Ah, I got 83, I could've done better in the rescuing..." they sighed, "I hesitated too much and I was standing around, waiting for people to tell me what to do..."

"I'm glad they tell us what to improve on, at least..."

"What about you?" she glossed over her page, "you got 86?!"

"Same as you, but most of the time I didn't think before I acted," she smiled sheepishly.

"For those of you who passed, from now on, during emergency situations only, you may exercise authority the same as Pro Heroes," Mera explained, "in other words, fighting Villains, saving people from criminal acts or accidents. You may act on your own judgement in these cases without the direction of a Hero. However, this means that each and every one of your actions carries with it a responsibility towards society."

"And, uh, for those who didn't pass-" Kirishima and Kaminari glanced awkwardly behind them at Bakugo, inching towards the girls.

"Mind if we join you?"

"Go ahead."

"There's no time for you to feel dejected that you didn't have enough points," he continued, "there's still a chance left for you all."

At this point, both Kirishima and Kaminari were well in front of the girls, using them as a shield from the blonde.

"After you attend a 3-month long special course and pass an individual test, we plan to issue a Provisional License to you as well," he hummed, the crowd sighing in relief, "we need as many Heroes as possible."

"Isn't this great, Todoroki?" beamed Midoriya.

"Stop, you don't have to take it, just take it easy, man!" advised Mineta, "the hierarc-"

"We're waiting for you," smiled Iida, Midoriya agreeing.

"I'll catch up with you."

~TIMESKIP~

"H-hey, Ochaco..."

"Hm?"

"Is... is Deku alright?"

The chocolate-haired female glanced over at the said boy who held his Hero ID in his hands, shaking.

"Huh?" he jolted upon hearing his name, "well, it's... y'know... I was helped by so many, and caused trouble for so many... so how do I put it?"

"You've really matured, huh?"

He grinned, gasping suddenly.

"I need to show it to mum and All Might as soon as possible!" he immediately whipped out his phone, snapping photos.

"Rie!" Irina burst out, startling the pair as she barreled into her, "I'm so proud of you!"

"You're making a scene-"

"Eraser!" The said male glanced over, a genuine tone lacing her normally jovial voice. "Since we've got this chance, do you wanna do a joint practice training session sometime soon?"

"Sounds good to me," he hummed in agreement.

"Oh, Shiketsu and Ketsubutsu are here," hummed Kirishima, watching Inasa run by them.

"Todoroki, I'll see you at the special course! But you know, honestly, I still don't like you! Sorry in advance! Bye!"

"Was... was that meant to be considerate?" questioned Kirishima aloud, watching as he ran to the bus.

"Rie!" called Shindo, walking over to the said female as she perked up.

"Shindo," she nodded in acknowledgement, failing to notice Todoroki suddenly growing silent.

"Can I have your number?" he asked suddenly.

She blinked.

"H-huh?"

"How bold, Shindo~" smirked Irina, "here, I'll give it to you, do you have paper?"

Todoroki stared as Rie tried shushing the blonde, the latter beaming cheekily.

"T-Todoroki?"

"Hm?"

"You're... you're on fire," Midoriya informed meekly. Startled, he gazed down at his left side, relaxing as he put out the flames. The freckled boy followed his line of sight, his gaze softening.

"You... miss her, right?"

He remained silent.

"Go talk to her," he nudged gently.

"I'm sure it'll be fine."