|48| A Manly Confession of the Truth {Pt. 1}

Rie stared at her torso insecurely, biting her lip and eying the scars on her back with distaste. Fear welled in her eyes as she blinked away the tears that had started to form. Why did she agree to join the girls in the spa? Well... her gaze lowered as her hand slowly reached out to self-consciously grab her elbow, breathing heavily as she tried to steady herself. She shook her head and outstretched her arm to grasp her white towel, jolting slightly as she heard Ashido calling for her.

"What's taking you so long, Riri?" she could hear. It faded in one ear and out the other, the girl letting out a shaky 'coming', silently praying that the girls didn't catch on. She swallowed, freezing as she instantly protectively wrapped it around her pale body, whirling around to face a pouting Ashido who crossed her arms childishly, pointing an accusing finger at the assassin.

"You're already stripped!" she declared, "so why are you still in here?!"

"O-oh, I-I was just-" she began, letting out a small yelp as Ashido grabbed a hold of her arm and began dragging her outside, ignoring her attempts to get her to slow down and eventually slowing down outside the spa where the rest of the girls were waiting for them.

"Hey Rie," the girls smiled kindly, the girl biting her lip as she muttered a small greeting in return. Ashido frowned, letting go of the girl and placing her hand on her chin, thinking hard.

"I-is there something-"

"Ah! I know!" she snapped her fingers, grinning devilishly and reminding the girl of her personal assistant.

In the Hassake manor, Karma sneezed.

"Aww, no need to be shy, we're all girls here~!" she beamed cheekily, grabbing the girl's arm and leading her to the spa as she let out a string of protests, "c'mon, this is probably the one day where we're all gonna have fun together!"

"B-but we can stay up and-" she tried to suggest, only for the idea to be shot down.

"Say, Rie..." Asui hummed, staring at the girl's back and watching the class representative smile and inform her it was alright, "where did you get those scars?"

The girls shifted their attention to the girl's back, where multiple scars of different shapes and sizes were painted on her back and she was glad that the boys couldn't hear.

"O-oh, that's just a side-effect of my Quirk..." she shifted uncomfortably. Seeing this, Uraraka shooed the girls away, flashing her a worried smile that she didn't miss.

"I..." her words were caught in her throat, the girl standing up and bowing apologetically. She saw Ashido's instantly regretful expression and the other girls' pitying and sorrowful faces, their shoulders drooping and the mood instantly plummeting.

She felt small, tiny, inferior.

Pity.

The one emotion she hated more than anything.

Why bother feeling sorry for someone who you can't help?

Why bother feeling sorry for something that's already happened?

Why bother feeling sorry for something you can't stop?

Why bother feeling anything at all?

~TIMESKIP~

"Can't sleep?"

The girl perked up, turning around slightly to face a red-haired male who was staring at her owlishly; the girl smiled gently, turning back to gaze at the forest that stretched out, nodding. She self-consciously rubbed her arms timidly, gazing elsewhere that was not Kirishima.