CHAPTER 4

22 years Ago

The Gupta's were very delighted to receive the news of a heir to their family.

Garima was pampered by her In-laws all in the name of bearing a baby boy which she wasn't happy about it.

"My grandson would be the most handsome and eligible heir for our business." Sidiq Gupta said and Shashi looked at his wife Garima with pity.

"Dad! The baby might be a girl." He informed and Sidiq got angry.

"Bullshit! Never happening. If Garima gives birth to a girl then know that I'm finding you a new bride." He threatened and Shashi gulped so as Garima.

Hospital

"Doctor how is my wife condition?" Shashi asked and the doctor bowed his head in defeat.

"I'm sorry Shashi but your wife didn't make it." He informed and he fell on the chair in agony. He sniffled.

Instead his father to feel a little bit remorse for the death of Garima he was asking for the sex of the child.

"Congratulations Mr Gupta, your daughter is out of danger." The surgeon informed and Shashi smiled at least his last hope but what his father said made him pale.

"WHAT? A GIRL? SERIOUSLY?"  He asked getting pissed.

"She didn't even perform her duty well before leaving! I'm getting you a new wife after the thing turns two years and no objections." He said angrily and stormed out of the hospital.

"It shall be well." The doctor said and left.

He took the baby in his arms and looked into her eyes.

"Khushi." He whispered and she stared at her father frowning. He smiled at her action.

"That was the name your mother wanted to name you." He spoke to the 2day old baby who stared at his father strangely and her antics brought a smile to the grieving Shashi.

"I wish your mother was there to hold you." He whispered sadly.

Since the death of Garima, Shashi was the one taking care of Khushi. He would feed her, change her diaper, sing a lullaby for her to sleep.

The Gupta's were sitting in the living room doing their own things, everyone minding their business. Shashi playing with his daughter when she spoke.

"Da....da..." She babbled and Shashi gasped.

"Baby.. what did you say?" He asked and she giggled.

"Da...da...dada...dada." she said and Shashi laughed and cried.

"Dada...dada..dada..." She spoke and Shashi twirled her making her laugh.

"Baby I'm so happy your first word was dada. I wished your mumma was here." He said with a sad face and Khushi held her father's cheek with her little hands.

"Dada..dada...dada." she was trying to make him laugh in her own way that made Shashi hugged her.

"I'm okay baby."  He reassured little Khushi and Sidiq rolled his eyes.

"What a drama! It would definitely end in 13months." He still reminded Shashi but he pretended not to hear.

13months later

"I'm not marrying anyone dad. In your dreams. Have you ever just looked at your granddaughter with a little love it wouldn't hurt. All you do is curse Garima and the little innocent child papa. How could you? All in the name of wanting a baby girl. Have you ever thought of your mother? If your mother was never born where could you have been? You would have never existed in the world. Women are people, they are also special in our society. Your Orthodox way of tradition wouldn't go with me. If you tell me is because of business you need a male heir why can't a she take over. All you have to do is train her to be who you want her to be not leave her and follow what society thinks about women. You said you want male but can you tell me now in this town! Now! Lucknow that you would never find a useless boy or unemployed boys roaming aimlessly, pick pocketing and all. It's training papa. And am not marrying any woman! Period." Shashi lectured his father and he laughed.