Sebastian

Arthur's POV:

The auction was over.

We decided to go to the storage room behind the stage. Vincent gave me a package wrapped in a black cloth. "Thank you." I accepted it graciously.

"For everything you and your family has done for us, this is hardly enough," Vincent replied. "Arthur and Jude, we have some swords in the back if you want to take a look while you're here. They might not be anything special, but I'm sure you'll be able to find a solid sword to last both of you."

I saw Dad and the Twin Horns enter my view. 

"Ah, you guys are here! How did you enjoy the Auction?" my father exclaimed, picking up Ellie after showing his respects to the King and Queen.

My Dad pulled Vincent aside as he and the Twin Horns began debriefing about the event. "Your Majesty. If I may have a word with you," I heard Sebastian say as he leaned closer to the King's ear. After a few moments, King Glayder shot his royal guard an irritated glance, but let out a sigh.

The two slowly walked towards me, it was obvious what they had just discussed by the way Sebastian wasn't even looking at me, but instead, at my bond.

However, instead of talking to me, the King called upon my father.

The King smiled at him, but his eyes remained stern. "I never did catch your name. You must be this young boy's father, correct?" he affirmed rather than asked.

"My name is Reynolds Leywin and yes, that is the case. What might be the matter, Your Majesty?" my father replied, lowering himself slightly.

"Sebastian, here, has been a royal guard for a while now and has helped our family an uncountable amount of times."

His voice stayed relaxed he spoke to my father, but the condescension in his tone was still apparent. "For the exemplary services he has provided me, and therefore the country, I do feel the need to reward him at times. You see; he has taken a fancy to your son's bond. I know it's not easy to sever a contract and I'm sure the boy has grown close to his little pet, but I would be more than willing to hire a mage to take care of the contract and compensate you and your family for the troubles."

"Y-Your Majesty," my father stuttered, caught by surprise by the severe request. Taking a glance at me, he turned back to the King. "I must apologize, Your Majesty. Neither I nor my wife had anything to do with my son's bond. He had acquired it himself, so I cannot speak on my son's behalf on matters of his bond."

"Hmm," the King turned his attention to my direction, regarding me loftily, and I suddenly realized that I was returning his gaze. He realized, then, that for the entirety of their conversation, I had been staring icily at him and his guard. "Boy. Didn't your father teach you to lower your gaze when speaking to someone of your superior?" Sebastian snarled in disdain as he slammed the end of his metal staff to the ground.

"Sebastian, silence!" The King held up his hand. Besides the royal family and their guards, the King's request had caught the attention of the rest of my family as well as Vincent's. "Hello, child." The King approached, standing an arm's length away from me. "I'm sure you've just heard me speak to your father so I won't repeat myself. How about it? My royal armoury would certainly have a sword befitting that of any aspiring knight."

Not wanting to make a big commotion, I swallowed back the profanity that was itching to spew out of my mouth. "Thank you, Your Majesty, for your gracious offer, but I must refuse. A simple sword could never replace Sylvie."

"How dare⎯"

"Sebastian!" King Glayder roared. Turning back to me, he spoke again with a much more impatient tone. "How about a trade then? The world lion cub that I just purchased for your bond?"