Regicide

|Bairon|

"Move quickly, we have to get out of here!" I whispered urgently, leading the Council Members through the deserted streets.

How did it all go wrong?

Perhaps it was when the Asuras destroyed Elenoir, reducing it to rubble. Or maybe it was before that, when Jude left Dicathen defenseless.

Regardless of the cause, the Djinn's defenses were breached and the Indraths were attacking the sanctuary. Our situation was dire.

Arthur, Sylphiette, and Kathyln were all on missions and couldn't come to our aid during this crisis.

We weaved through the houses towards the cavern's edge. The streets were crowded with confused and frightened people, some standing still while others hurried in the same direction as us.

The sound of voices rose and fell as we rushed past, and Virion addressed each one without slowing down, directing them towards the deeper tunnels. Even those who were loyal to him had hesitated to flee, but his words encouraged them to follow him and any remaining family or friends they had.

The entrance to the tunnel was packed with people, at least half of the sanctuary's population was already squeezing through the narrow hole that led to the network of caves and tunnels.

"Remember, stick with the appointed leaders!" Feyrith Ivsaar, an elven refugee, shouted from atop an earthen platform summoned next to the tunnel mouth. "They'll guide you to safety! We'll send word when it's safe to come back!"

Rinia wriggled out of my arms and patted my elbow once her feet were back on the ground. "Thank you for your service, General Wykes. I need you to organize a group of guards and search the village. We must ensure everyone makes it out of this cavern. Virion and I will lead the way, while you cover the rear."

I looked to Virion for confirmation, and he nodded. "I'm counting on you to buy us time to get these people out of harm's way."

I snapped a salute. "Understood, Commander."

As I turned to leave, Virion grabbed my arm. "Don't dawdle. I expect you back when this is all over."

I nodded sharply, urging Virion to release his grip on my arm. The frantic voices of the villagers grew louder, as they became aware of his and Rinia's presence. Soon, they were engulfed by the frightened crowd, lost from my sight.

Scanning the area, I searched for any sign of our guards. Some had gathered on the rocky outcroppings overlooking the path, while others were helping Albold and Feyrith. I noted those who had joined the troublemakers and then made my way towards the remaining guards.

"You, head into the village and look for any stragglers. Everyone must evacuate immediately," I ordered, the urgency in my voice leaving no room for hesitation. The men hesitated, their eyes darting towards the clogged tunnel exit.

"Now!" I barked, watching them scurry away.

Hovering forty feet above the ground, I watched as the refugees funneled out of the cavern. The chaos below reminded me of the castle's fall, and flashes of memory flooded my mind. I pushed them aside, forcing myself to focus on the present.

The Scythe had been impervious to my attacks, and something even more dangerous was coming. Although I had grown stronger after breaking through to the next stage, the memory of my desperation during the encounter still lingered. But another figure came to mind, Jude Leywin, the invincible shield of Dicathen.

"We need you back, Commander Jude," I silently whispered to myself.

As fear engulfed the crowd, I felt the urge to flee, to abandon Virion and the refugees. But did I owe them my life? I shook off the doubts, knowing that I had to remain strong for them.