Engagement

Tessia POV:

Everyone in the hall held their breath, silently waiting for Arthur to speak as he came into view.

He stood wordlessly and surveyed the outdoor gallery from atop the stage. Every person present seemed to ingrain the image of Arthur in their minds the moment he had reached the spotlight.

I had seen my childhood friend just hours before, so I was even more stunned by how different he looked compared to when I was with him then. His long auburn hair was tied loosely in a knot behind his head, held together by an ornamental pin. Rather than the usual formal attire of humans, he wore a silky decorative robe like us elves. However, unlike our traditional garb, the loose sleeves of his robe just barely went past his elbows, revealing thin tight-fitting gloves that covered his entire arms. Completing his refined ensemble of clothing was a rich fur pelt, as white as snow, slung over one shoulder.

It hadn't been too long since he had appeared in front of the world, adorned in an extravagant armour that dazzled everyone who had come to watch. Yet, seeing him up there within the column of light in his elegant attire, he didn't just seem dazzling. He radiated an otherworldliness that I had only felt when I saw Master Aldir and Jude.

Distracted by his transformation, I only realized when Arthur turned his head, peering deeply at the Vritra retainer encased in ice, that the red burns that had scarred his neck were no longer visible.

Cheers and laughs erupted after Arthur bowed, signalling the end of his speech. The illuminating artifacts turned back on as Arthur left the stage and my grandfather came back up.

"Please feel free to get a closer look at the Vritra, and I hope you enjoy the rest of the evening." With that, a few guards replaced my grandfather on stage as the Council came up first.

While they tried to hide their astonishment, It was obvious by their expressions that it really was their first time seeing the corpse as well. I watched as my parents as well as Kathyln's parents studied the frozen tomb. Only the dwarven elder named Rahdeas kept his distance, his expression subtly strained.

"Princess Tessia and Princess Kathyln, would you like me to take you to the corpse?" General Varay asked, a rare hint of anticipation in her sharp eyes.

Not wanting to disappoint the lance, Jude, Kathyln, Claire and I followed her toward the stage where more and more nobles began surrounding the frozen Vritra.

Reaching the front of the premises where the soldiers stood guard, I examined the corpse inside. It was hard for me to look at the Vritra for too long though. Physical attribute-wise, it—she—looked human, but staring at the two hollowed cavities where her eyes should've been filling me with a fear that couldn't be blocked by mana.

"I need to go," Jude said as he kissed Kathyln before darting off suddenly. 

Seeing Varay stare intently at all angles of the Vritra with her hands moving along the ice tomb as Claire studied the corpse wearily, I suddenly remembered.

"Claire." I gently tugged on her sleeve. "Wait right here! Let me go get Arthur!"

"What? Tessia, no—"

Ignoring Claire, I quickly made my way to the back of the stage behind the curtains.

"This area is off"—a female guard stationed behind the stage retreated a few steps—"Princess Tessia?"

I smiled, quickly making up an excuse. "My grandfather is expecting me to meet with him."

The guard shifted her gaze over toward the narrow staircase beside her. "Commander Jude and Commander Virion had ordered no one to go down these stairs, even the rest of the Council," she replied hesitantly.