Celebration

(A/N: This takes place after Arthur killed the retainer. Jude was just chilling with Kathyln in the meantime.)

Kathyln POV:

The figure standing in front of me, head tilted ever-so-slightly in scrutiny, wore a lavishly decorated dress of shimmering black. The silky fabric came up just above the base of the neck, with subtle frills adding a girlish touch. The sleeves covered the length of the arm with the same delicate frills at the ends, while the dress fell on the shorter side—coming up just short of my knees.

Locks of black hair flowed down on one side in perfectly organized twirls that mixed nicely with the dark colour of her attire. 

I couldn't believe that the person standing in front of the mirror was me.

"You look beautiful." My mother shifted glances between me and my reflection with a warm smile on her face. I studied myself, turning left and right so I could see every angle while a team of maids nodded with reserved content. "I'm not so sure about this. The dress is a bit bleak, isn't it? Maybe I should wear something a little brighter?"

"I think the black makes you look mature," she answered. "What do you girls think?"

"I agree," the head maid quickly replied. "This was made by a famous silk weaver in Kalberk City, who designed it specifically for you, Lady Kathyln. The lacing and frills add a very cute touch while the overall shape and colour of the dress gives off a very—excuse my language—sensual semblance."

"Sensual?" I pondered, twisting left and right once more.

"Laylack, the designer, believes that the clothing itself shouldn't be beautiful. Rather, the clothing should bring out and accentuate the beauty of the wearer," a younger maid added. "I think this dress does a fine job of that. If I didn't know any better, I'd think that your hair and eyes were actually glowing in contrast to the dress."

"D-do you think Jude would like it?" I asked slightly blushing.  A wave of laughter filled the room as I pouted. My mother interjected, "I am sure Jude would like whatever you wear Kathyln," and the maids put the final touches.

Stepping out of my room, I spotted Tessia and Jude outside.

"Your Majesty," the two greeted my mother in unison.

"Jude and Princess Tessia," my mother responded with a soft smile before turning her head toward me. "Kathyln, I'll see you up there. I have matters to attend to with your father and the other Council members."

As the event was being held on the uppermost floor of the castle, my mother was escorted toward the stairwell as we remained in the hallway with a couple of castle guards.

Jude and Tessia silently waited for my mother and her maids to leave before turning back to me with cheeky grins.

"You look good Kathy," Jude shot me a sly smile causing me to blush. What else would be my reaction, when he was wearing a sleek black suit which perfectly contained his muscular frame and his eyes shone like emeralds whenever he looked at me?

Tessia turned to me, "You are looking gorgeous Kathy."

It was obvious my close friend had put in a lot of effort for the occasion, and it paid off. Complementing her mature appearance and gunmetal hair was a fluttery green dress that emphasized her eyes and hair.

"Thanks, but I didn't realize how uncomfortable I'd be in this getup."

"I'm also curious as to what the announcement is going to be," I said as I turned to Jude, silently asking him.

He looked at me and placed his finger on his lips. 

Agh. Looks like Jude won't tell me. I turned to Tessia only to see her shaking her head.