Preparations

Jude POV:

(A/N: Trodius didn't betray cause Jude is a commander.)

Ellie and my mother were both weeping on their knees. My sadness had already evaporated from all the crying I did beforehand, leaving just emptiness in my heart. I had heard that Arthur and the other lances were also attacked by the retainers.

The Alacaryans most likely came up with this plan to kill the strongest mages in order to quickly put an end to the war.

I couldn't bare to see my sister and mother crying like this so I bid farewell the next day. Ellie decided to stay with mother.

I let out a groan, barely able to hear my own voice over the wind blasting around us.  I could see the flying castle nearing in the distance, filling me with a mixture of emotions. 

The castle guards, noticing me, split apart to form a path while the landing dock opened soundlessly.

I had to hand it to the artificers of the olden days—the wise and powerful mages that were responsible for not only lifting an entire castle up in the sky but an entire city as well and connecting each major city with a teleportation portal. The constructs left an awe-inspiring feeling every time I saw them.

Surprisingly, the landing dock, which was usually filled with activity and noise, was completely empty aside from the lone figure by the door. It was Virion.

It took me a moment to realise who it was because of how different he looked.

The powerful confidence that the old elf usually radiated alongside his lighthearted smirk was gone, replaced by a grim expression complimented by the layers of bags weighing down his eyes.

His silver hair was unbound and the robes he wore looked a tad too big on him. Still, seeing me, his face softened into what I assumed was a smile of relief.

Walking up to me in a graceful gait that couldn't be diminished with just age, he immediately wrapped his arms around me.

I was stunned. My body flinched from the unexpected physical contact, and for a while my mind went blank.

"Welcome back. You did everything you could, Jude... you did great," he said softly, in a voice that seemed unfamiliar yet so familiar at the same time.

The frigid shell of apathy that I had kept myself encased in—away from the anger, grief, loss and other emotions that were trying to claw their way inside—had melted.

It could've been the warmth of his embrace, or the warmth of his words, but I found myself crying once more. Tears streamed down my cheeks, unabated and warm.

My shoulders trembled as I tried all I could to keep myself from breaking down once again, but Virion's words continued to echo in my mind.

I did all I could. I did great.

The two of us stood there alone in the large empty room, forgetting just for a moment who we were.

_____________________________

I was in the council room again, sitting with the other council members. Virion woke me from my stupor, "Commander Jude, please get on with your account."

I raised my voice and told them about what happened. The Scythes, the betrayal, even the death of my father.

Virion said, "To think that Commander Galahad would betray us like this. However, I must say that Commander Jude deserves as award not only for saving the Wall but also for killing a powerful spy and a Scythe."

Virion then said grimly, "Lance Aya, Mica, Arthur, Tessia and Kathyln were all attacked by retainers simultaneously. Arthur, Tessia and Kathyln successfully killed their enemies but Aya and Mica both took severe injuries and are need time to heal."