Return of a Hero

|Kathyln|

A suffocating sense of betrayal gripped my lungs, squeezing the breath from my chest. My gasps for air were desperate and shallow, struggling to find enough oxygen to sustain myself. With an instinctive surge of mana, a protective swirl of ice magic enveloped me, shielding me from the emotional storm raging within.

I mustered the strength to steady my voice, though its undertone carried the weight of tension. "Jude Leywin," I spoke, each word laced with a mixture of hurt and accusation, "Who is that woman behind you?"

His emerald gaze flickered momentarily, a fleeting hardness replacing the warmth I once knew. But just as quickly, his eyes softened as he exhaled, as if trying to find the right words to explain. He raised his hands in a placating gesture, his voice gentle yet burdened. "It's a complicated story, Kath. But she... she is my lover, just like you."

Shock reverberated through every fiber of my being, a devastating blow to my trust. For the past year, I had poured my heart and soul into caring for our son, Alexander, clinging to the hope that Jude would return to us, that we could rebuild our fractured family.

But now, it seemed I had been blindsided by his betrayal.

"You..." I stammered, my voice trembling, the regality of a queen momentarily fading into raw vulnerability. With a swift motion, I thrust my hand downward, summoning a colossal scythe of ice into existence, fueled by my anger and hurt.

Jude, seemingly unfazed, raised his hand in response. From his fingertip, a convergence of purple flames ignited, swirling with an otherworldly power. In an instant, he obliterated my icy scythe with ease, reducing it to mere vapor.

The destruction mirrored the shattered pieces of my heart, leaving me standing in a void of broken promises and shattered dreams.

The sting of betrayal was like a knife twisting in my heart, threatening to spill the tears I fought so hard to hold back. With trembling hands, I summoned an even greater surge of mana, molding it into an arsenal of icy spikes aimed at Jude. My intention was clear—I wanted to pierce him, to inflict the same pain he had inflicted upon me.

But as the spikes hurtled toward him, something unexpected happened. Jude raised no defenses, no barriers to shield himself from the impending assault. Instead, he walked toward me, his gaze unwavering, his expression filled with a strange mix of determination and compassion.

The pink-haired woman tried to intervene, to say something, but Jude silenced her with a gesture, his attention solely focused on me.

The spikes penetrated his skin, drawing crimson streams of blood, and still, he moved forward, undeterred by the wounds inflicted upon him. It was a testament to his resilience and the depth of his commitment.

"Do you feel better now, Kath?" he asked, a gentle smile playing on his lips despite the pain he endured.

My voice trembled as I stammered, my grip on mana slipping. I couldn't bring myself to harm the man I loved, no matter the hurt he had caused me.

"No, I won't," I managed to utter, my words laced with a mix of vulnerability and determination.

Jude took another step closer, his arms outstretched, an invitation for a hug. His voice softened as he spoke, the sincerity in his words palpable.

"I will explain everything to you, Kathy," he said, his voice carrying a weight of earnestness and a hint of sadness. "But first, please... give me a hug."

Conflicting emotions waged war within me—betrayal, anger, confusion, and a lingering love that refused to dissipate. Tears welled up in my eyes as I hesitated, torn between the need for answers and the desire to feel his warmth once again.