🎭Prologue

The alarming sound of sirens woke the sleeping residents of Chantelle Manor at dawn

The alarming sound of sirens woke the sleeping residents of Chantelle Manor at dawn. Horrified eyes filled the room as Kane Son's lifeless body was moved to the wheeled stretcher. The violent stabs on her chest struck fear into those in the scene.

"Not a word to the public. We must keep this situation within Chantelle Manor's walls until the case is solved," the hotel manager says to the newbie. "Keep those reporters' mouths shut, or you're fired."

"Kane was murdered--" The manager immediately covers the newbie's mouth, afraid that the other guests might hear him.

"We don't know that yet. You better not spread unnecessary rumors, Fin. We'll get this sorted out in no time. Until then, just do what I'm asking you to do." The manager leaves him in the scene with no words to say.

Fin's lips trembles as the paramedics take Kane's body with them. He was full of rage and regret, seeing her going further away like that. It only got worse because he's one of the powerless, who only gets to see and never tell.

A loud bang of the door woke Fin from his dark thoughts. Furrowing his brows, he turns to the door across the room where the sound came from.

"What was up with her?" The guy beside Fin quietly asks himself and takes the elevator to the upper floor.

"Hey." A girl rushes out of her room and approaches Fin. "What's going on? There's an ambulance waiting outside--" Her eyes grew when she saw the open room. Kane's blood can be seen clearly on the marble floor. "What... What is all that?" The trembling voice of the girl only made Fin walk away without saying anything.

--

"Why is no one talking about what happened?" Mirae asked. "I saw it myself. There was blood...blood...in that room! Am I the only one alarmed?" She eagerly asks the hotel's receptionist. "Shouldn't you be making calls right now?"

"Please calm down. We were asked not to do anything unless those above would instruct us. It would be better to remain in your room, Ms. Kim," the receptionist calmly said.

"Are you kidding? You're asking me to remain in my room when my neighbor just died?" Mirae wanted to force an action out of the receptionist, but the only reply she got was silence. "You're not serious."

"They probably want to bury it." Mirae turns to the man pressing a water bottle on his cheek. "It's been five hours, but no one's doing anything. All reporters get silenced, and witnesses get paid to shut up. It's always like that in that in this household. Didn't you know?"

"I am worried about my safety." Mirae retaliated. "That girl was found dead while I was sleeping. Who knows what else was going on?" She faced the receptionist again, hoping she could convince her to do something.

"I would just mind my own business if I were you," France said the second he stepped out of the elevator. "Geo's right. They will sort this out on their own. Or should I say, bury this issue, so it doesn't taint our parents' and our reputation?"

"This is straight-up wrong. It goes against my values, so I will not shut up until they do something about it." Mirae left the desk and ran to the stairs, stomping her feet in annoyance.

Just in time after she left, a man in a grey, long coat pushes the glass door open with both hands and hurriedly takes the elevator. Another group followed seconds after him, causing a big scene in the lobby. The receptionist immediately made a call to report it to the higher-ups.

"Excuse me, gentlemen." The hotel manager halts the group while they were on their way to Kane's room. "I'm afraid you can't barge in here without consent. Please exit the building before I call security."

The man in a coat scoffed and pulled out his ID. "You probably didn't recognize me. I'm Lloyd Kim. I got tasked to take care of this case as fast as possible. You don't want to cause the delay, don't you?"

After verifying Lloyd's identity, the manager immediately stepped aside and showed them to Kane's room. "It would've been better if you didn't bring too many people with you." He subtly looked around them and found the other guests snooping. "We can't inconvenience our guests in Chantelle Manor. They are elites from all over the country--"

"I was already briefed about this place. Stop talking and get the hell out of my sight." Lloyd carefully pulled the barrier tape upward and went inside the crime scene. "What a large room for one person," he muttered to himself while putting on examination gloves. "Who reported the body?"

"One of our newbies," the manager replied while following behind Lloyd. "He saw blood coming out of this room and told me immediately."

"Can you ask him to come here? I have a few questions." Lloyd turns to the white couch near the door. Among the other furniture inside, it's the only one with stains of blood.

"The thing is..." the manager looked down and hesitated to say it. "Fin's not available right now. You can ask me whatever you wanted to ask him."

"I want to speak to him directly. Bring him here right now." Lloyd demanded. But when he turned, he noticed that the manager didn't leave his position. "Did I not make myself clear?"

"You really can't speak to him right now. I'll be in trouble if you keep insisting." At that moment, Lloyd immediately sensed something fishy. He can't bring the witness or tell me the witness's whereabouts. Why? "He told me everything he saw, so feel free to ask me."

"Did anything unusual happen last night?" It was a different question. Lloyd wasn't sure if the manager would honestly answer the question meant for the witness.

"There was a blackout during the party. Our guests were all gathered in one building, and our security system locked all exits of the hotel," the manager answered.

"The estimated time of the victim's death is between 9:50 PM to 10:00 PM. When did the blackout occur?" Lloyd continued to ask.

"Around 9:40 PM. The power went back when it was past ten." The manager furrowed his brows, realizing what could've happened. "Are you saying it happened during the blackout?"

"Possible. But, I can't make conclusions." Lloyd walked around the room as if he was searching for something. "Did someone enter this place? It looks completely normal except for the blood."

"It was how it looked five hours ago. We only saw blood on the couch and floor with Ms. Son's body."

No sign of resistance both in the victim's body and in her room, but she was stabbed five times. Lloyd turned to the door and saw the password door lock. The door can only be opened if the person knows the passcode. It suggests two things. The killer wasn't at that party and is an acquaintance of the victim.

"Give me the list of those who didn't attend the party. I'll be looking around for other possible scenarios." Lloyd demands as he exits the room and gestures for the forensic team to gather evidence.

Lloyd took his time, walking around the vicinity with bitterness. "These people claim to be respectable. But what? A murder?" He chuckles to himself. "Just wait and see. I'll reveal all the evilness hidden behind those flashy suits and cars. I won't get fazed anymore."

"Mr. Kim!" The manager calls and runs towards Lloyd. "There were nine people who didn't attend the party." He hands Lloyd the list, and the latter immediately scans it with his eyes.

"Take me to them."

--

Firsttt🙈 I thought the names of the characters would be confusing, so I decided to add character indicators in the beginning of each chapter😄 I hope the prologue wasn't too boring or something like that🤧